Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Huge cargo space

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Default Huge cargo space

Over the holidays, my family ordered a swivel/gliding chair for our baby nursery. The delivery truck came to our house planning to drop off the package outside of our front door. They left a note saying that the package was too big to get through our porch stair case, so they took the package back to their freight distribution center and required me for a pick up in person. At that point, I wondered whether my 2008 Outlander could fit the package. I called the freight company and they told me the dimension: 36x36x38. A quick measurement suggests that if I rolled the second row seat up, the package should barely fit. So I drove to the freight company last night and tried my luck. Turned out the package was 35X36X38. And it FITTED LIKE A GLOVE. The width and the height had nothing to spare. If it was really 36X36, it would have failed. Length-wise, there might be two to three inches of room left, so I guess it could have gone up to 41inches long.

I just thought to myself, this little cross-over SUV is the best thing out there. People have told me that they would rather have a fold-flat second and third row seat than the roll up seat like ours. But I can tell you that if it was a fold-flat like a Rav4, RDX or even a MDX, it wouldn't have a cargo space that is as tall as our Outlander. The tall interior space between the ceiling and the floor makes it so useful as opposed to the fold-flat which limits the height from ceiling to the seat back.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:47 PM

I picked up a snow blower in it's shipping crate at Sears.

The box was 33" wide, 34" high and 51" long and weighed 270 pounds.
It fitted perfectly. I was happy the drop down platform is rated at 400 lb.

This is a very good hauler. I love the squarish back as the top of the cargo area is as long as the floor unlike the rakish shape of most of the other SUV / CUV

Old 12-27-2010, 07:00 PM

I picked up a pre-assembled cabinet with the Outlander. The people at the loading dock said its not worth trying, as it wont fit...I told them it will and they reluctantly loaded it in. Fit perfectly with only a bit hanging out the back. I just tied it down to the tailgate latch hook and it didn't even budge by the time I got it home.