Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Winter-izing advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Default Winter-izing advice

Hey all, I'll be moving to Denver in a month or so and I needed to run by you guys who live in those cold areas what I should look at and what I should do to my Outie for the cold weather.

I just replaced the battery, I will have new wipers and winter washer fluid, the oil will get changed before I leave Hawaii (5w-20 Mobil 1). Here in a week I will rotate the tires (planning on snow tires when I get there). I was thinking, would a battery blanket help?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:52 PM

Find some dry silicone spray so the weather strips don't freeze shut. If you don't have a garage...maybe some winter wiper blades.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 PM
tcp
Default two things

check your antifreeze's specific gravity to confirm it is good to low temperatures. Should be fine, but you could run a weak solution in Hawaii without having problems. Good thought on the dedicated winter tires. They make a world of difference. Forget the battery blanket. I run my outlander (and every other vehicle i've ever owned) down to -35C without that. As long as your charging system is in good order your battery will be fine on its own.

My condolences on leaving Hawaii for Denver.

Originally Posted by Obakemono
Hey all, I'll be moving to Denver in a month or so and I needed to run by you guys who live in those cold areas what I should look at and what I should do to my Outie for the cold weather.

I just replaced the battery, I will have new wipers and winter washer fluid, the oil will get changed before I leave Hawaii (5w-20 Mobil 1). Here in a week I will rotate the tires (planning on snow tires when I get there). I was thinking, would a battery blanket help?