Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Hypermiling with Outlanders

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Default Hypermiling with Outlanders

Hello everyone...I am a noob looking to get informed on my Outlander. This forum is the best I have seen so far, so pat yourselves on the back. I own a 2004 Outlander LS AWD.

With the gas prices being what they are, I have been looking into Hypermiling techniques. I gave my Outie a complete tuneup, jacked the tire pressures to 42f/40r and drove for a few days using Hypermiling. I still have some excess weight in the back to get rid of. Here's what I got so far, and it floored me...

148.9 miles - 5.117 gallons = 29.09 mpg

I was just flabbergasted, because I used to be a road rage freak and would only average 17-18 mpg.

Please share your Hypermiling techniques or stories!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Default RE: Hypermiling with Outlanders

wow, that's amazing... you must accelerate really slowly then, and keep a long distance between you and the car in front of you? how do you do it? do you drive outside of urban area's?
I only reach 10.3 l/100 km aka 22.9 MPG (from the digital display) with my sporty driving style, although I do apply the basics of hypermiling, just not the part of the acceleration! Also driving on dirttracks or in soft sand uses a lot of fuel
Also I believe the quality of fuel makes quite a difference, and I suppose motor oil also has an impact.
regards

Old 06-01-2007, 05:13 PM

Wow, I can't imagine hypermiling. I just can't bring myself to do it, lol.
I would have to detune and lower my boost pressure just to make myself do that.
Kudos to you guys that can "make" yourselves do that.
I do try though, seriously. I try to stay off the gas, use cruise control using a hypermiling techniques on the highway, and all that. All it takes is one instance of hearing the turbo spool and that it for me. Hypermiling is OUT the window, lol.
However, when I do a combination of hypermiling, I do gain about 10mpg. Which is then used up, and then some, the next day spooling, lol.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:52 PM

The only time I have "hypermiled"is when I drove our minivan 500 miles on a single tank - just to prove my father in law wrong. Aside fromthat, I'm a pig except sometimes I coast down hill....

Old 06-01-2007, 09:06 PM

So far hypermilling has got me 400 miles in one tank on the outie, way better than my RA ever did.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:21 PM

For the amount of miles I drive to work each day, I have no choice. I can save over $150 dollars a month by driving like a Grandma, aka Hypermiling. At the current MPG I am getting, I could get 461 miles to a tank.

I just installed the new factory spec sparkplugs and noticed that it takes less RPMs to accelerate now, so I should be able to break the 30 MPG barrier...woot!

Now for you more mechanically tuned guys....I heard that preheating the fuel-air mixture actually helps the combustion efficiency. Is this true? If so, I am thinking of making a heat exchanger for the fuel line and use the hot coolant going to the radiator to heat up the fuel before it goes into the injection manifold. As for the air, I was thinking of taking the air duct mounted onto the grill off and just puta screen on the air filter inlet so that it draws hot air from the engine compartment. Thoughts?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:23 PM

I'm not sure about the fuel, but I'm sure cold air will give you better efficiency than hot. The reason is because cold air is a lot more dense, therefore you get better combustion and the engine has to work less to get that suction going.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 PM

That makes sense...so I guess I will leave the air system alone.

I am also tinkering with the idea of a water injection system.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:59 PM

What do you mean by water injection?

Old 06-02-2007, 07:16 AM

You can use an automist system that injects a water/alcoholmist into the air intake. It is supposed to reduce fuel consumption and reduce emissions. It is also supposed to help clean up carbon build up in the engine.

Quick Reply: Hypermiling with Outlanders