Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

I just bought a 03'! some questions and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Default I just bought a 03'! some questions and concerns

Hello all,

I just bought a used 2003 outlander and I am extremely excited about it. The car looks to be in great shape and has only 75k on it. I hope to keep it for a very long time!
Some questions:

1. I believe my car has the stock stereo system - it is a cd stereo. I am on a very tight budget and so I would like to try and get a used stereo with tape instead to play music through my phone (I already have those 3.5mm cord tapes). Can anyone explain to me where I can find one that is compatible?(next question is related to this)
  2. If you believe that getting a used tape stereo will cost me almost or the same as a stereo with aux point then obviously i will rather have an aux point.
  3. I feel like the car's transmission slips from time to time. I am not sure if 'slips' is the right term - it basically feels like a small bang when I push on the gas after standing. It really almost never happens... Should I replace the transmission's oil?
  4. Should I take the car to a near by autozone to have them check my computer for codes?
  5. what general maintenance should I do and or what should I check which is a common issue with these cars?
Thanks@!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 PM

Start by opening the owners manual and finding out what the 75000 mi service is and get it done. Including replacing the timing belt. These engines are "interference" engines, meaning if the timing belt goes, so does the majority of the pistons and valves. That is, unless you can confirm (previous owner?) that it had been replaced not too long ago.

Trans filter change would not be a bad idea, especially if the fluid is brown or black-it should be red.

Last edited by milliesdad; 10-18-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
Start by opening the owners manual and finding out what the 75000 mi service is and get it done. Including replacing the timing belt. These engines are "interference" engines, meaning if the timing belt goes, so does the majority of the pistons and valves. That is, unless you can confirm (previous owner?) that it had been replaced not too long ago.

Trans filter change would not be a bad idea, especially if the fluid is brown or black-it should be red.
Hi

I will try to find out if the timing belt was changed... I believe it has not. How much should something like this cost?

Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 AM

I just went over the manual. I see that at 60k there was a lot of maintenance that should have been done, including the timing belt. I am not sure if the previous owner did any of it or not. Can a timing belt be checked?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:51 AM

If you get it torn down to the point that you can see the condition of the timing belt, you might as well go ahead and change it out.

That and any tes nsioners and idlers that make any sort of noise when turned or they feel rough-you are checking for bad bearings in them