Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Info on the outlanders 4wd system

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Default RE: Info on the outlanders 4wd system

This is taken out of the Outlander service manual

"As the vehicle is intended for on-road use, long-time driving on a sandy or slushy road must be avoided. When the vehicle is driven on a sandy or slushy road for a long time, the fail-safe function of the electronic control 4WD system tends to enter the protective control mode which switches the control from 4WD to 2WD gradually in order to protect the drive system, and the indicators ("4WD" and "LOCK") tends to illuminate"

If you are looking for an offroad vehicle you might be better served by something else.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: jsrd

ORIGINAL: rcpax
Wow, that would probably cost like 1/4 of your car if done aftermarket. I think it's possible IMO, but at what cost?
You are right rcpax, the cost would be a factor to consider … perhaps, is better to wait to have the version 4WD in Mexico. . .
just for the transmission, transfer case and rr differential; $7,500.00 then you would need everything else inbetween.

finding a good donor car would make this project doable.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:44 AM

"As the vehicle is intended for on-road use, long-time driving on a sandy or slushy road must be avoided. When the vehicle is driven on a sandy or slushy road for a long time, the fail-safe function of the electronic control 4WD system tends to enter the protective control mode which switches the control from 4WD to 2WD gradually in order to protect the drive system, and the indicators ("4WD" and "LOCK") tends to illuminate"
Thanks chenarm, I guess that settles it for me.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:40 PM

ORIGINAL: mitsupartsman.com
...just for the transmission, transfer case and rr differential; $7,500.00 then you would need everything else inbetween. finding a good donor car would make this project doable.
Thank's for the information mitsupartsman, but really, is better to me to wait that 4WD version arrives to Mexico, before that to try to make the 'update'. . .

Old 12-18-2008, 01:33 PM

Are there any ill effects of using 4WD and/or 4WD lock on dry pavement, especially while turning like traditional locking differential 4X4's have?

Old 12-18-2008, 02:22 PM

AFAIK, the manual discourages using 4WD Lock mode on dry pavement, saying something about premature tire wear and also added wear to the 4WD system. I just leave it on to 4WD Auto most of the time, and I switch to 2WD when making long freeway trips with the cruise control on.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:13 PM

No it will not do damage like a locking differential 4wd system would. The Outlander's is electronic, and the Auto and Lock mode act more like a All-Wheel-Drive system. The system will even shut down or reduce power to the rear if it is overheating.

This has been talked m-a-n-y times though...

Old 12-18-2008, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: tdford

No it will not do damage like a locking differential 4wd system would. The Outlander's is electronic, and the Auto and Lock mode act more like a All-Wheel-Drive system. The system will even shut down or reduce power to the rear if it is overheating.

That's what I thought, but if the search worked on here again I could find that info. Where's Sebba? He's been quiet since the search broke.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: tdford

The reason I said this is that 4WD Lock on dry pavement will definitely ruin your tires prematurely, increase your fuel consumption, and create more noise. Now, common sense will dictate that if the wheels are creating more wear to the tire, the 4WD system that rotates the wheels is put under greater stress.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:04 AM

And notable too that "tight corner braking" phenomenon is only observe in 4WD Lock mode and not in 4WD Auto or 2WD.

Quick Reply: Info on the outlanders 4wd system