Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Initial impressions of 08 Outtie 4WD ES

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Default Initial impressions of 08 Outtie 4WD ES

initial impressions.....

what i like: [ul][*] stiff suspension...feels exactly like the lancer but higher.[*] stock mp3 cd player reads name of songs on cd as well as displays name of songs on radio stations.[*] seats are nice and firm and not as floaty as galant.[*] headrest is actually usable unlike the galant.[*] tonnes or little cargo compartments to store little things.[*] bluetooth buttons already on wheel and pre-wired for voice activation as well.[*] information computer on dash is quite impressive.[*] factory fog lamp brightness is amazing.[*] comes stock with a strut bar.[*]switching to 4wd or Lock mode from 2wd totally eliminates torque steer.[*]RDS and PTY feature on stock head unit is pretty impressive.[/ul]
what i'm not too impressed by? [ul][*] armrest compartment for storing things are not as deep as galant.[*] stock exhaust tip is tiny compared to the big one on galant and does not sound as sporty.[*] more traffic noise inside cabin such as sound of cars passing by and cars beside me at the stop sign as opposed to the galant which was virtually silent. probably because of the thinner less padded doors.[*] arm rest could have been a little longer.[*] wish the wheel was telescopic but then again none of the other Mitsus' have this either.[*] wish that fog lamp control was a switch/button rather than on the headlight stalk.[*] wish that fog lamp could be turned on at any time and not only when low beam is on.[/ul]
other observations: [ul][*]there is some body roll at turns but it is very controlled and predictable unlike the sloppy excessive ones on the galant.[*]not sure what to think of the CVT yet but so far it is smooth. haven't put it to the test yet.[*]pumping seat up causes it to come forward as well and pumping it down cause it to go back too. so far i'm not too bothered about this oddity.[*]audio AUX jack in terms of female RCA are located at the lower back on the arm rest as if it was meant for the rear passengers to use.[*]stock Yokohama Geolander G033 tires are fairly quiet but i rather something a little more all-terrain.[/ul]
****all comparisons based on 07 Galant ES.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Initial impressions of 08 Outtie 4WD ES

Impressive post Elisha! Thanks for sharing that with us.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:03 PM

i kinda like this post, wish there were more of these....

Old 06-20-2008, 11:34 PM

thanks guys!

more observations: [ul][*]average fuel consumption based on speed units are changeable from liters to mpg (US & UK) but when changed, amount of fuel to empty unit changes as well. for example we use KM in Canada but i'm used to fuel consumption calculation of MPG instead of L/100km so i decided to change the unit to MPG and that changed available fuel mileage to xxx miles to empty from xxx km to empty. But all other units remained KM like trip, service interval and odometer.[*]ASC and Traction Control are both available but when turning ASC off, it turns TC off as well or so it seems.[*]radio screen does not wash out in sunlight, it is actually the reflection of the light that makes it less visible. can most likely be cured by some kind of non UV reflective screen protector. [/ul]

Old 06-22-2008, 10:15 AM

Hey there, just picked up my 08 ES as well, the 4cylynder AWD and took it on the highway this weekend to see the parents.

I was pretty impressed, a little bit of cabin noise, sometimes the car was a little jumpy on long winding turns...but overall GREAT!

Got about 8.5/100km which is pretty close to its specs....while my wife sat in the large spacious back seat with the New baby as well...

MOre info to come as well on initial driving...havent done much city driving yet...so that will be next

Cheers

Old 06-22-2008, 10:45 AM

[ul][*]headliner not padded so heavy rain sounds like it is landing on a tin roof as opposed to dull thuds on the Galant.
[/ul]

Old 06-23-2008, 07:21 AM

The roof panel is made from aluminium not steel to keep weight down and also lowers the centre point of gravity so the car rolls less in bends. The roof lining inside the car abosrbs smells

puddy

Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: puddy

The roof panel is made from aluminium not steel to keep weight down and also lowers the centre point of gravity so the car rolls less in bends. The roof lining inside the car abosrbs smells

puddy
i know all of that. but the fact is that it is still not padded. i have to put the odour testing to the test one of these days....

Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 PM

Just a question regarding the dash illumination.
I tested an Outlander today but during the drive I was unable to clearly view the speedo-tack while wearing sunglasses, it was a very bright sunny day.I turned the light **** that controls the brightness all the way up but still had a problem reading the speedo. Without sun glasses no problem, so the test drive was with no sunglasses. Is there anyway of getting the dash brighter. Also tried with the headlights on and no improvements. Has anybody else noticed this. The vehicle I tested wasthe 4 cylinder ES. While idling I lifted the hood and heard a loud ticking noise, asked the sales person if this was normal and he said yes, it was the valve train. Did not like the sound of that.
My first impressions
Thanks

Old 07-24-2008, 03:19 PM

Impressions of my 08 ES 2WD after 1,000 miles.

1. Front seats very comfortable on long trips.

2. Granted suspension is a little stiff, but gives good feel of road vs mushy suspension.

3. The 4cyl in ES is more than sufficent power even going up steep 6% grades.

4. 27 mpg on highway, 19.5 in city.

5. Perhaps a small visor just above clock/radio display might make it easier to see in bright sunlight.

Quick Reply: Initial impressions of 08 Outtie 4WD ES