Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Install trailer light harness ?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 02:05 PM
Default Install trailer light harness ?????

I am installing a Curt trailer wire harness.my problem is where to go through the fire wall to get to the positive on the battery.i can not see anywhere to go through on the drivers side in the brake pedal area. I don't want to drill for fear of drilling into some wires. If anyone has any ideas it would be great and pics would be better. I have a 2019 Outlander es. Thanks for any help. Thx. Tux19

Old 10-24-2020, 02:18 PM

Why do you need to go through the firewall? When I installed my wiring kit, I had to run a wire from the back of the vehicle where I installed the module (behind the plastic moldings in the back hatch area) to the front. I simply secured that wire to the body and other tubing under the vehicle then came up next to the engine on the driver's side.

Edit: This is the harness I used. Which one are you installing? https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...rt/C56189.html

Last edited by sock puppet; 10-24-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Default Curt harness

Yes this the same harness. So u went through the rear floor and to the battery correct. I went in the rocker panel to hide the wire and now I am by the front left on the inside that's the reason for the firewall but your way sounds easier have u had any trouble with corrosion I live in Ontario with a lot of salt on the roads.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:01 PM

Yes, I went through the floor of the body on the Driver's side, behind the rear plastic panel. My instructions said to install the module there (to tie into the tail lights). While I had the panels loose, I found a place to go through the body near the rear tire area on the driver's side (all behind the panel). I had the rear of my Outlander up on ramps so I could see it from underneath, then found it by feel from the inside.

I simply zip-tied it underneath which was pretty easy. There is some tubing that runs nearly the length of the vehicle and comes out in the engine compartment on the driver's side, so I followed that. It's a pretty clean install and I'm not sure I can get pictures to show it clearly. I haven't had any corrosion issues in the past year, and since it's a single-run of wire I don't expect any.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:05 PM
Default Curt harness

Great thanks for the reply and info. I will try to route the wire and post this week. Thanks again Thx lot

Old 10-24-2020, 06:39 PM

Post up if you have any issues and I'll try to help. I did mine about a year ago so I may not remember the little details, but I can go look at it if you need something specific.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:30 AM

Thanks in

Old 10-26-2020, 07:54 AM

Do not zip tie to the tubes running length of vehicle. That will trap moisture and eventually rust them.

The vehicle is already wired....no need for any drilling. Small jumper that comes with modules connect between battery and connector behind battery. Module plugs into connector under plastic cladding over rear passenger wheel. Secure module in that area and store trailer wire in cubby where Jack is. Done. Easy.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:24 PM
Default Wire harness

That's what I thought plug in the back and ground then plug in the front then to positive and your done .But I can't get that harness that will fit mine.i had uncovered the plug at the front and back before I got this wiring harness. I can get a you tube for a 2018 u would think 2019 would be the same but no. I am going to look for a harness for a 2018 and see. But so far it looks like the harness I have is the right one.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:46 AM

I had the same issue and could not find a kit with the connector. I installed the one that I linked to above and have used it numerous times in the past year without issue.

Quick Reply: Install trailer light harness ?????