Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Interested in Outlander XLS - newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Default Interested in Outlander XLS - newbie questions

The salesman was less than honest (why am I surprised) and therefore I need some help clarifying somethings:

1) Throttle Hesitation. I see a TSB out there for the hesitation although the Salesman said "the delay is a characteristic of all throttle-by-wire systems" and that I'd "get used to it." Yeah, myVW has throttle-by-wire, there is a SLIGHT delay...what I experienced in the Outlander was more like a significant delay. So, is the '07 covered under the TSB? IF so, wouldn't the salesperson be aware of this?

2) Machine finished rims on XLS - They had some XLS's in stock with regular painted rims and they had some XLS's that had a gorgeous machine-finished rim. The 2008 brochure shows that the XLS can come with both rims but its not clear if its part of an option package or not. Saleman said: After June 15th all XLS's started arriving with the machine-finished rims. Yeah, then why would the 2008 brochure show that the XLS can be equipped with both machine-finished or painted???? Anyone know the answer? Is the machine-finished rims part of the luxury package or something?

3) Another quote: "2008's aren't available yet" - WHAT????? I did a quick search when I got home and found two other dealers have them in stock. This is just annoying. Is there any difference between the '08 and the '07? I found the Fastkey FOB to be enormous yet the 2008 brochure shows a nice small unit, did they make the 2008 unit smaller?

4) Base stereo: The dealer claimed that he only had Outlanders with NAV (which is not something I want)and Non-Nav Outlanders all hadthe upgraded stereo...needless to say I couldn't listen to the base stereo. So is it really that bad? I personally wasn't too impressed with the upgraded stereo anyway. The subwoofer produced a muddy bass.

5) Torque steer. This is just an observation that made me reminescent ofthe Integra I used to have. Pedal to the metal and hold onto the wheel with all your might or you'll find yourself in the next lane before you know it.

Thanks everyone - and hopefully your responses will help clear up the questions I have enough that I'll actually be able to buy one.
Thanks everyone - and

Old 12-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Default RE: Interested in Outlander XLS - newbie questions

1) Throttle Hesitation. The TSB for throttle hesitation was for vehicles made in the first half of 2007. Anything after that should be good. There is still some very small hesitation, fairly normal for DBW vehicles.

2) Machine finished rims on XLS. I was under the impression that all 2008 XLS came with the new machined wheels, but there might be a transition period where they phase them in.

3) 2008 are available.

4) Base stereo. You'll have to find a base stereo to hear it for yourself. I'm really happy with the NAV/Fosgate system. There are extensive controls for thesound systemso you can make it sound the way you want. A lot of people regret not getting the NAV down the road, it's a really good system, simple and easy to use, touch screen is great.

5) Torque steer. I can definitely feel torque steer when accelerating in 2WD mode. I leave mine in 4WD mode all of the time to avoid that problem, and for all of the benefits of 4WD.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 PM

1) Yes, salesman dont usually dont know $@!&. Depends when the '07 was built, but most had the hesitation problem. Can be fixed with computer reflash.

2) Like biscuit said, '08s should come with the machine polished, but if they will probably continue to ship new ones with the '07s, especially if they have a ton left over. PS: Use that as a bargaining chip, like: "I think Im going to buy it, if we can get the rims switched..." Easy swap for dealer.

3) Most of the XLS's I saw came with the Nav unit, which came with the upgrade stereo. Just depends what the dealer ordered. Most people if they are going with the XLS want both. So thats what dealers order.

4) Most front whell drive vehicles with decent power (200+ hp) have torque steer. Not all, but most. And yep, putting in 4wd mode will help reduce it.

Use info towards your advantage when buying. I wish I would of knew the things I do know when I purchased. I for one would of had some accessories thrown in...

PS: Mitsubishi dealers only get credited for selling NEW cars (for their rating from Mitsu). They will do a lot of things to get them off the lot.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:55 PM

If Buying, wait near the end of the month.. They will deal..

It might save you up to 1,000 or more.. It happened to me.. Went in Friday, got a good deal. Wife had problems, could not make it Sat and Got there Monday and walla, More money!

Get the NAV, do not be stupid.. Because one is typing to you now.. I now have the NAV and installed it myself. So its the Sun and Sound with Nav now. WHY, Im puttin in the Backup Cam.

I bought mine Labor Day (Monday) and now have 7500 miles on it. Like lots of miles to go to work..

If you think the dealer is not honest, hit another dealer.. They are car dealers and will sell anything even if its a lil lie.

I did believe a dealer once.. Bought a 78 Merc Cougar and wanted the Cleveland Engine because the Windsor engine mated to a Trainy that would die and destroy engine (Knew a junk yard owner told me to stay far away from Windsor eqp)
Went to Kmart, got the spark plugs for a 351 Cleveland (big ones) went home got the ole socket out and no fit.. I had the wrong type and the engine was Windsor.. Guess what.. Trainy went out, repl it and engine went next.

So.. Get a trust worthy dealer/saleperson

Old

Old 12-10-2007, 07:52 AM

Thanks for all the advice. The reason I don't want the NAV is because I already have a Garmin and find its a HUGE value over the factory NAV units. For $170 I geta portable NAV unit that gives me more flexibility - including tossing it in a few years if something better comes out. I understand that alot of NAV systems also come with a host of other gadgets (trip computer etc)...and I'm not sure if that is the case here but I find the extra toys to be fun for the first 6 months.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:24 AM

Yup, I have a Pocket PC IQue 3M Garmin and love it.. I use that for travel as well..

But I also have a few CD's and Im still putting em in the Music Server.. Im in my car alot.. So listening is a nature of life. 7500 in 3.5 months

Nothing on the windshield now.. Some States are wanting GPS off the windows.

BTW, I did have the 6 CD with RF system.. Only thing I miss is RDS, but I find myself on Sat more than AM/FM

BTW I like checking out sensors seeing all is ok.

I Like toys.. Im a Toys-R-Us kid

Old 12-10-2007, 11:46 AM

i also own an xls without nav, and like you have a garmin c340 w/c iam very pleased with
but, in retrospect i now fin myself thinking ifi should have gotten the xls w/ everything on it...like theyre mentioning
i guess its not so much on the nav unit itself but also the other stuff that comes with it (heated seats, hids, power drivers seat, etc)
plus the ability to mount a back-up camera, watch dvds and all that fun stuff

imho, you could always keep your garmin and enjoy the nav too

Old 12-10-2007, 04:00 PM

Part of your 3rd question hasn't been answered: what is different in 2008?
Here it is the answer:

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...8&mime=ASC

And YES, most of the salesmans have no clue about the cars they are selling. Do your homework before you go in.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:04 PM

Ah, this was a very helpful website. So the 2007's do not have an AUX input? The goof-ball salesguy said the 2008 would be introduced with no changes.

Given all the information you have provided me, the guy was either pushing the 2007's REALLY HARD and lying to make the sale, or he was a legitimate dufus. I tend to believe its a combination of both

Last question: this is my 1st experience with a Mitsu dealer and its been less than desireable. Is this typical? I can say that most Honda, Toyota, Jeepdealers (high volume) tend to be like this while Acura, BMW, and other niche players tend to treat you with some dignity and respect (although I was once told that the "new model year Acura CL hadn't arrived yet but shouldn't be much different than the CY model" - I come to find out it was delayed because it was being completely designed).

Dealers will be dealers and our strongest bargaining chip, especially when buying new...is to just walk away.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: GSRman

So the 2007's do not have an AUX input?

The '07 XLS w/ nav HAS a AUX input. Its at the bottom of the fold down screen. There is also a cable available that I believe hooks into the rear of the unit that can come through to your armrest in the center console.

Quick Reply: Interested in Outlander XLS - newbie questions