Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Just Bought An '05 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:24 PM
JMC
Default RE: Just Bought An '05 Outlander

Looks good!

Old 03-21-2007, 02:38 AM

Hopefully, I'll get thestrut bar and pully and get them install before this weekend is over. I did get some bad news though. The place I ordered the gr-2 shocks does't have the front shocks in stock. It's actually on a nationwide backorder. Every place I call does not have them at all. So I have two rear shocks coming in, and have to wait 2-3 weeks for the front ones to be available.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:31 PM

jay,
my feeling is the pulley frees up a little power in that the engine rev's up a little faster, and seems to give a bit more roadspeed at a given rpm; like 65 mph in 5th/od at like 2800 rpm's instead the previous 3000, though
the tac in one's instrument cluster is not all that accurate within a hundred or so rpm's, so maybe i'm kidding
myself....but it did feel a bit quicker. love your car by the way, nice wheels, and looks rather good lowered.
before you install the pulley, read their directions through, and then take my advice here: the square hole they refer to for moving the tensioner is in a housing over and to the left of the crank pulley, right next to the tensioner itself if i remember correctly. the other 'holes' they mention are not holes, but rings at the bottom of said housing, almost directly left of the crank pulley itself. their directions were very sketchy in this regard, and even a phonecall to them on the saturday afternoon i did the install was not at all helpfull. the fellow i spoke with thought the the idler up and to the right of the crank was the tensioner! anyway, when you insert a 1/2" drive in the square hole and turn the works to the left, those rings underneath will line up so
you can then insert an allen key in there to hold the tensionser away while you work. hopefully i made that
clear enough for you so you don't have to waste the 45 min's i did trying to make sense of their poor destructions. after that almost futile exercise, the 'hardest' thing was the tedious task of taking apart all those plastic covers underneath and around the engine. replacing the pulley and the belt was the easy part.
as for the air intake, if you have the large maf, the weapon-r is a direct fit, and they also even offer a nice aluminum cold air box that fits nicely as well. if you have the probe-type maf, then the ralliart intake might be the way to go if you don't want to piece sections of tubing together for a do-it-yourself cai. if you have that older maf, i recommend the weapon-r as it's the only custom fit for the outlander. by the way, all cone-type air intakes are loud, but it's only noticeable under acceleration inside the car; it's not that noticeable outside, unlike a free-flow muffler which the whole world can hear.
good luck and let us know how you fared, and i hope my advice re: the pulley helps....

Old 03-29-2007, 02:42 AM

Okay got some updates. My pulley and strut bar came in today. My two KYB rear shocks came in yesterday as well. Installed my strut bar, but it wasn't exactly plug and play. Expositor how did you deal with the clutch/brake reservoir in the way? I had to get ghetto with it and just kinda slant it alittle bit, and was able to secureit enough so it wasn't just"hanging around"with only one of the bolts, rather thantwo. Looks kinda silly with it slanted the way it is, but oh well. Let me know if you did something different. I included a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

I emailed KYB to see when the front shocks will be available for the outlander again, and one of the reps said he didn't know when it would....great. So now I have two rear shocks sitting in my room collecting dusts. As far as the pulley, it seems like it's a three hours plus job, seven hours plus for me, so I'm probably going to take it to a mechanic to install it for me. I'm not real good with my hands. Lol. I'll let you know when I'm get it install.

...for some reason it's not loading the pics. So you're going to have to just cut and paste to see some of the pics:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ius/pulley.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p.../strutbar2.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/strutbar.jpg

Old 03-29-2007, 02:50 PM
JMC

Wow...the strut bar I had for my '03 Outlander came with a kit to move the reservoir down so the bar would fit nice.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:29 PM

Really?! What kind of strut bar did you have for your 05? The slanted reservoir is starting to bothering me. What kind of kit was it? maybe i can duplicate it and move it out of the way from the strut bar.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:45 PM
JMC

I had an '03....
I got it from a company overseas who made a kit with the bar to move the res down so it wouldn't be in the way. I think it was for a Mitsubishi Airtrek (JDM Spec)
I'd look into it asap...that ghetto rig won't last or won't be safe.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:25 PM

I was taking a look at it during lunch and it doesn't seem like it's going be a good idea for it to just kinda hang there. Originally, I was looking at a JDM strut bar for the Airtrek, but all the websites were in japanese so I ended up just getting the RRM. Can you tell me what the kit looked like so I can try to duplicate it, if not I might just have to use some automotive glue and just stick somewhere. Lol...seriously.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:33 PM

forum project car...
lol

Old 03-29-2007, 07:48 PM
JMC

ORIGINAL: Jay Envy

I was taking a look at it during lunch and it doesn't seem like it's going be a good idea for it to just kinda hang there. Originally, I was looking at a JDM strut bar for the Airtrek, but all the websites were in japanese so I ended up just getting the RRM. Can you tell me what the kit looked like so I can try to duplicate it, if not I might just have to use some automotive glue and just stick somewhere. Lol...seriously.
You might be able to find what the kit looks like online...I do not remember at all. It came with the strut bar. The kit lowered the res so the bar wouldn't have anything in the way.

Quick Reply: Just Bought An '05 Outlander