Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Just bought an '07 XLS (Nav related)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Default Just bought an '07 XLS (Nav related)

Unfortunately, I did not get it with the NAVand I am now regretting this decision. My XLS comes with the standard 6 disc CD changer unit and standard speakers.

While I am perfectly ok with the quality of the speakers, I do want some sort of NAV / touch screen unit. What recommendations do you guys have? I could buy the mitsubishi NAV, but I read that it is heavily tied into the system of the car and that if you dont get it from the factory you lose alot of functionality. Is this true?

Should I get and after market solution?

Also I would need the proper "housing" for it as I imagine it wouldnt fit right with what I currently have..

Old 10-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Default RE: Just bought an '07 XLS (Nav related)

ORIGINAL: NothingInCommon
I read that it is heavily tied into the system of the car and that if you dont get it from the factory you lose alot of functionality. Is this true?

Should I get and after market solution?

Also I would need the proper "housing" for it as I imagine it wouldnt fit right with what I currently have..
First, getting the MMCS is the best option. I guess the dealer will have to reprogrammed the ECU to integrate your MMCS with the vehicle's telemetry etc. Every Outlander sold in the US is prewired for Navigation, so I don't see why you will lose functionality.

Aftermarket on the other hand will give you Navi and Multimedia function but it will not be able to interact with your vehicle's computer. And finding the right dash kit can be frustrating, not unless the product manufacturer has built one for the new Outlander. the 2DIN dash kit is only currently available in Japan, so sourcing it can be costly.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 AM

If I dont lose the functionality that I would agree that the MMCS would be a perfect option.

Although, I wish it had an adapter for controllingan ipodvia the touch screen like the pioneer does, also the lack of sirius is frustrating. I dont understand how they can partner with sirius and not include sirius reception on the unit.

I dont think i've read of an example of an aftermarket nav unit being installed on outlander ( im sure someones done it). So you are probably right about it being hard to find.

I have friends in Japan, so buying any genuine japanese parts would not be too difficult for me.

What is an "2DIN dash kit" do you have a link? Is it the housing that surrounds the radio? Even if I went aftermarket, id like the finish product to look like an installed MMCS would.

Would this fit on the outlander with MMCSs dash kit?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...070352,00.html

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...264980,00.html

Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM

Here is the 2DIN kit:

Part #: RAY69013 ¥24,990 (US$219+S,H,D)

That's the one you need since the Pioneer you linked is 2DIN (the size of 2 standard car stereos)

Old 10-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Cool!

I need that part for either the pioneer or the mitsu nav ?

Is that from mitsubishi? the color looks different from the rest of the dashboard.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:42 PM

That's a Ralliart Part, which is still Mitsubishi. There's an available dash kit specifically for the MMCS, that one is only for 3rd party products. You might have some luck with the OEM dask kit for the MMCS but I haven't seen one installed with 3rd party.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:46 PM

Yeah the dimensions would have to be identical on the navs for the MMCS kit to work on an aftermarket one I suppose..

Old 10-30-2007, 03:01 PM

i just called my mitsu dealer . the parts guy said the kit should include the panel that surrounds the navi.

im assuming he means this kit

[MZ360160EX]

http://www.mitsubishipartsstore.com/...5b5e731ac655d9

so any after market nav would require the purchase of the kit above, would you agree?

Old 10-30-2007, 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: NothingInCommon

If I dont lose the functionality that I would agree that the MMCS would be a perfect option.

Although, I wish it had an adapter for controllingan ipodvia the touch screen like the pioneer does, also the lack of sirius is frustrating. I dont understand how they can partner with sirius and not include sirius reception on the unit.

I dont think i've read of an example of an aftermarket nav unit being installed on outlander ( im sure someones done it). So you are probably right about it being hard to find.

I have friends in Japan, so buying any genuine japanese parts would not be too difficult for me.

What is an "2DIN dash kit" do you have a link? Is it the housing that surrounds the radio? Even if I went aftermarket, id like the finish product to look like an installed MMCS would.

Would this fit on the outlander with MMCSs dash kit?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...070352,00.html

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...264980,00.html
that is probably one of the coolest aftermarket navis available
i personally am eyeing that particular mode...it does everything what the MMCS does except for interfacing with the vehicle for equipment settings
IMHO, less the vehicle interface, it does a better job all in all (selectable driver views for the navi, bigger HD for music, aux inputs, outputs for aftermarket amps, phonebook for your bluetooth, also has voice commands too)
the only thing you have to get is the SWIX module to interface with the audio steering wheel controls

hope your project turns out ok...and post pics if you dont mind

Old 10-30-2007, 08:11 PM

I'm not sure if you will need the whole install kit for a 3rd party install, and to be honest, I have no idea what the install kit contains. Better ask your dealer. That kit was only intended to be used in conjunction with an MMCS install.

Quick Reply: Just bought an '07 XLS (Nav related)