Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Default RE: K&N air filter

Here's a test comparing different filters using an ISO test

http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

This is for filters on GM diesels, but results should be similar...and in general better flow means less efficient filtration

Old 05-27-2007, 03:13 PM

It looks like 2nd Gen Outlanders use the same airfilter as the Evo 9. The Ralliart and BMC filters look good. A magazine found 0-7 Hp gain/Dyno with an Evo 8 using a K&N, but is it worththe loss in filtering ability?
I'll try to find the info links.

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2007, 03:13 PM

heya, thanks a lot for your advice on drop-in filters Evoracer!
I didn't know there were alternatives to the wet-type of high-flow panel filters. That HKS sounds very decent to me.
I think I'll search a filter like that when it's time to replace the stock airfilter in my Outti. It won't be easy to find HKS products over here in Belgium or nearby countries, but we'll see.
I also noticed that Blitz makes dry-type drop-in airfilters that fit the Evo..

Regards

Old 05-27-2007, 04:09 PM

Import Tuner Article on Evo 9/K&N:
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/powe...ir_filter.html
(Oh sorry +5 HP/5500 rpm and +12 HP/redline!)

WORKS Air Filter sounds great!
http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...roducts_id=133
(But "Out of Stock".)

Old 05-27-2007, 09:21 PM

The Fram site...
Shows the same air filter number for the Evoloution and 07 Outlander 3.0, V6...

Maybe it's an error?

Sorry tried to attach the link, but it didn't work.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Old 12-25-2007, 11:39 AM

Hi, I've replaced my stock air filter with a Ralliart Sports Air Filter: Urethane form type (RA188657S3), a month ago.
It's expensive, but I noticed a difference; the engine revs up a little smoother, it feels like it has gained a little bit more torque in the lower RPM's.
It also seems like I have to press the pedal a little less hard to keep a stable speed, certainly at highway speeds.

But I'm comparing to the stock air filter which had been used for 14000km, it looked little dirty, I also noticed that the performance had dropped a little bit in the last months.
In any case the gains will be very minimal compared to a new OEM air filter, as already said in this thread by others.

Fuel economy hasn't changed much, perhaps a little worse.
Lastly, intake sound is more like when the car was new, but it's hard to tell the difference since I already had the OEM Sport Exhaust with twin endpipes (made by Remus by the way). The exhaust is not loud but I can hear the difference, certainly when releasing the clutch pedal, and a low rpm.
Cheers and happy holidays!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: evoracer

K+N's, or any oiled air filter, are a double edged sword. They allow more air into the engine, but also filter alot less effectively than conventional elements. If you over oil them, they WILL ruin the MAF sensor. If you under oil them they do nothing. Since the 1st generation Outies use the same air filter as the Evo, I reccomend either THIS filter or THIS one. They filter alot better, and don't require oiling. They are, however, not reusable like the K+N, but can be washed every so often. And if you stay on top of it and don't let the dirt build up, they can be kept very clean. I ran the HKS on on my Evo for two years with the same filter, just kept it clean.
Evoracercan both ofthe recommended filters fit my Outy turbo '06 without any modifications???