Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

liquid 2 air or air 2 air intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 05:19 AM
Default liquid 2 air or air 2 air intercooler

I have an air to air intercooler at the moment on my car but during the day or more so the heat, the car doesn't pull as much as at night when lower temp. So am asking if anyone knows if the liquid to air intercoolers are as top noch as people say they are and how good is the performance from them

Old 12-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Default RE: liquid 2 air or air 2 air intercooler

The Liquid to Air IC's are...alright. A lot of people have moved away from them since they can introduce a rather large possibility of leak in the IC due to corrosion or cracking. Lately though, people have been using the Intercooler sprayers. Most of them have pressurized CO2 gas or even Nitrous gas that is blown onto the intercooler to help reduce the IC temps. There are a few that just use water, and spray a fine mist over the IC, but they don't do as good a job as the CO2 or Nitrous. They're still effective though, and can bring down the temps quite a bit, but you'd need to upgrade to an aluminum IC to resist corrosion. There are also special IC paint coatings that can help dissipate heat. They are step down, but they are maintenance-free!

Old 12-18-2004, 02:22 AM

Yeah I have been told about spraying the water on it it works good enough. I dont understand what you mean by useing the co2 or nitrious to cool down the ic. Do you mean spray it on as driving. Does that mean I have to put a tank in the boot say and run the lines and little injectors spray the nitrous or co2 onto the ic. Is that what you mean

Old 12-18-2004, 01:31 PM

I think what he means bout the CO2 n Nitrous is the NX N-tercoolers.....they spray some nitrous in the IC to cool it down faster, so ur car gets cooler air

Old 12-19-2004, 07:25 AM

Yes, Co2 is cheaper and does just as good.

Example:
The little compressed air cans that you use to clean keyboards off with that look like WD-40 bottles. Take one and turn it upside down. Spray it on a wash cloth that was just made wet by HOT water. DO NOT SPRAY YOUR HAND OR ANYONE/THING else. It will cause hypothermic conditions.

This is the same basic concept.

You can make this setup for cheaper than the $500 price tag. Just a little FYI.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: gsr94trycatchit

... So am asking if anyone knows if the liquid to air intercoolers are as top noch as people say they are and how good is the performance from them
They are better for straight track use. I would not recommend one for a daily driver. The maintanance and upkeep has been stated already, but the side that most don't realize is that once the liquid is warmed by the underhood temps you will LOSE hp.

Hope that helps some.