Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Larger Tires for Stock 18" Rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Default Larger Tires for Stock 18" Rims

It's time for new tires on my '07 Outlander. I love this vehicle, but I've always thought the stock 225/55/18s looked too small. Any ideas on what the largest size I can go without rubbing? I'm sure that 235/55/18s would work, but has anyone tried 255/55/18s on the stock rims? There seems to be a lot of selection in both of those sizes. The 235s are less than a half inch wider and taller than stock, so I'm not sure how much different they will look, but the 255s are well over an inch larger in both dimensions which would look great, but might hit in some places.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Default RE: Larger Tires for Stock 18" Rims

i have no idea. but i would think the 255 is pushing it. i know u can go 235

Old 02-01-2009, 05:29 AM
aad

I guess you should be aware about your speedometer before you do this , you can calculate the tolerance on your new tires here:
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

I recently had Kuhmo's installed 235x55.18 and it still looks a bit small I agree. I did not take the risk to divert too much from the recommenced standard sizes. Maybe track this thread too:
http://outlander.freeforums.org/inde...9ec0d309f04f7b

There is section on standard 18" 225x55x18 and one about other sizes

Old 02-01-2009, 08:55 AM

With 235/55 on 18in wheels, the speedometer is much more accurate than 225/55. I put the car on cruise control when the speedo reads 100kmh, checked the speed on the gps and the radar speed detector, all shows 99-100.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:38 AM

Considering the 255's but really want to be sure they don't rub anything. Would looks great!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:28 PM

i know there are a few people on this forum who have changed from the stock size. would you mind posting a picture of what the new profile from the front and rear looks like with the increased diameter? i am really curious, i would like to do this myself but I want to see an example or 2 before i make my final decision. anyone have a shot of such a case?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 AM

not to sure about tire choice for 18" but as far as width goes 235 is perfect on the 16" wheels, i think it may have rubbed with 245 but not too sure cause the wheel width was only 6.5" and anything above 235 on that wheel would have been pushing it.
do you know the wheel width on your 18"s?
if you have 7" wheels like the new Lancer Ralliart, then 255 should be no problem as long as it doesn't rub.
if you want it to look mean, get a squared off AT tire.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 PM

OK I have to admit that I'm a little surprised at the lack of response by members who have experimented with tire sizes. To satisfy my curiosity, and to be a service to those others who have the same question I went to my local tire dealer today and had a set of 255/55/18 Yokohama Geolander H/T-S test fit on my wife's '07 Outlander. The tires seem to fit with no problem so I bought them. They look great IMO, and fill the wheel wells much better than stock. No rubbing at full lock in either direction, and nothing hit on the 30 mile drive back home. Based solely on the trip computer it looks like the larger tires are going to cost about 1 to 2 mpg at 70mph. I'm not that concerned with the drop since I've been averaging about 26 mpg with the V6 (a lot more than I expected when I bought the vehicle). I didn't notice any drop in acceleration.

I will post an update after we put a few hundred miles on the new tires. There are some pretty rough roads down here in Galveston after Hurricane Ike, so I should be able to tell pretty quickly if there are going to be any real clearance issues. I doubt it though since there still seems to be a lot of room around the tire. The only place I'm really concerned with rubbing will be inside the rear wheel well lip when the back is loaded down. I'll try to fill it up with stuff next week to see if it rubs there. I will also post pictures as soon as I take some (and figure out how to post on this forum).

Old 02-13-2009, 09:00 PM

Check this site out if your looking to upgrade your tires and wheels. It gives you all sorts or info on hypothetical sizes (odometer reading, wheel well clearance, etc.).

Kaiser, post some pics... before and after if possible.

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 AM

Maybe you can post some pic as well.. Do you notice any difference in the handling? With the bigger tires, thicker and bulging sidewall, do you have a wobbly car, especially when turning corners?

Quick Reply: Larger Tires for Stock 18" Rims