Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Looking at a 2007 Outlander. Please help a mitsu rookie (time sensitive)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Default Looking at a 2007 Outlander. Please help a mitsu rookie (time sensitive)

Hello all! I will certainly get to the correct section for a formal introduction soon, but I have some time sensitive questions I hope you all can help with.

I just found a 2007 Outlander with 88k miles that after some aggressive haggling I got the dealer down to $9000. Its a V6, auto with the 4wd lock option. It needed a repair to one of the springs, and will be repaired by tomorrow morning, so I need to decide if this is the car I want by tomorrow. Thus, I have registered here to enlist your assistance if anyone is willing to offer it. I have never owned a mitsubishi before. I know nothing of their reliability, maintanence schedule, repair costs, reliability etc. My questions are as follows:

1.) Do you like your outlander and would you buy it again?

2.) What MPG do you actually get (V6)?

3.) How capable is this SUV for off-roading? I don't expect boulder crawling Jeep Wrangler performance. I need a vehicle that is good on unplowed roads, can get through some pretty bad mud, doesn't easily get stuck in light sand, decent ground clearance (7"+), 4wd, can tackle light muddy hills, won't destroy the suspension if doing some trail driving. Does this vehicle stack up?

4.) Anything prone to failure on these cars that I should be aware of to look out for?

5.) Are mitsubishi's particularly expensive to repair (kind of like other Japanese cars like Subaru, or the german cars)?

I didn't expect to like it as much as I did walking into the dealer, as I have actually been in the market for a subaru forester for the past 2 weeks. But this caught my eye and now I am having a hard time not wanting to pursue the car deal. Please help by offering answers to any of my questions. Or, if you have other thoughts please post those also. Thanks!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Banned

1) Every Outlander owner on here seems very satisfied.

2) The V6 gets reasonable gas mileage, google for specific figures.

3) They are decent, but it's no Land Rover.

4) Little stuff, nothing major. Clunky transmissions.

5) They are fairly cheap to repair outside of a dealership.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sebba
1) Every Outlander owner on here seems very satisfied.

2) The V6 gets reasonable gas mileage, google for specific figures.

3) They are decent, but it's no Land Rover.

4) Little stuff, nothing major. Clunky transmissions.

5) They are fairly cheap to repair outside of a dealership.
Thanks for the reply. I see different numbers related to MPG online. Some report as low as 17/22, while others are as high as 21/26. I havent seen such a spread for any others vehicles I have been researching. Any idea what you actully get on yours?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Banned

I'm guessing the upper figure is for the 4 cylinder. I don't own, and never have owned an Outlander.

Google produced this: Gas Mileage of 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander

Being a .gov domain, I'd take this one. Seems fair to me.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 AM

MPG for the US 2007 Outie in FWD flavor is 17/25. The AWD versions get 17/23. I don't know what the specs are for Outies outside of the US.

My '12 Outie has the 6B31 V6 and gets 19/25 on paper but my city driving is a wee bit aggressive to get me away from crazy people, so I typically get 16 mpg around town. On the highway, I've seen 26 mpg.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:37 AM
Banned

Em Pee Geez are for hippies and tight wads. Keep your foot in it, and save time. Think about how much time you could save over a lifetime, you're conserving life!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba
Em Pee Geez are for hippies and tight wads. Keep your foot in it, and save time. Think about how much time you could save over a lifetime, you're conserving life!
ROFL!

<highfive>

I am stealing that for the next time one of my friends has a waking dream about having sexy time with their Prius.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 AM

1) Mine has been great, you always get some bad apples in the bunch.

2) Tight wad here. I would wear the cruise control button out. I can get 21/28. My wife however gets about 18/23. I drive slower and let the computer do the accelerating.

3) I can say it does great in snow. Haven't done other types of rough terrain. Lots of youtube videos out there.

4) nothing major. I've only had a wheel speed sensor go out, HVAC blower motor, and a leaking rear diff seal. keep up on the maintenance and you should be okay. Do not go with aftermarket blower motors...

5) I agree. A few quirks like difficult to get aftermarket tranny fluid outside of stealership...but otherwise a regular car. If you are a hands on guy, I can send you the complete service manual...it is really nice to have.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Great support there ^.