Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Looking to buy a 2010 Outlander GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Default Looking to buy a 2010 Outlander GT

Hi, I already have a 2007 XLS and love it so much that I'm planning on buying a 2010 GT for my wife. I am buying this used with 45000 miles. I have some questions and hope that someone here could help me out.

1) Does anyone with a 2010 have any opinions, good or bad? I have read the reviews on Edmunds and its favorable but I want to hear it from a dedicated Outlander forum.
2) Any known issues with this year model? I read that a couple of people that owned it had to replaced the A/C compressor.
3) What kind of fuel does it use, regular or premium? Is it OK to use the 89 octane gas (mid-grade)?
4) Its got the HDD Navigation with Real time traffic and satellite radio, do you need a subscription for that?
5) On my XLS, I could use 2WD, 4WD, or Lock, is the GT full 4WD on the tarmac mode?
6) The dealer that is selling this is not a Mitsubishi dealer, if anything is wrong with the car, will Mitsubishi honor the remaining warranty?

I'm going to the dealer this Friday to look at the GT and these are the questions that I could come up with right now. Thanks

Last edited by jumpinjulian; 12-17-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added one more question
Old 12-18-2013, 07:16 AM

I've only had mine for 5000 miles so I won't be the most seasoned owner.

1) I've enjoyed mine so far, handling feels sportier than an SUV, has decent acceleration, no problems yet
2) There is also a starter relay issue with this model year, you can google it, mine failed to start one time. After a few minutes and few more attempts it came to life. Essentially condensation gets inside the relays and shorts out. Mitsubishi is apparently on their 3rd or 4th iteration of relays trying to solve the problem. This is only a problem in a colder climate, which I'm in, and I've only had it happen once so far thankfully.
3) I use 89 quite regularly, it has dual knock sensors so 89 isn't a problem, you just lose some HP and torque. Fuel economy is decent on highway, not so great in town. Feel like it could be a bit better for being a mid-power V6.
4) N/A
5) I believe the modes are the same as your XLS, or very similar. Tarmac can send up to 20% to rear axle under acceleration or when the front wheels slip, but in normal cruising all power is directed to front axle.
6) I bought mine from a Mitsu dealer so I'm not sure on this one

Old 12-18-2013, 07:43 AM

3. Regular is OK.
4. Subscription is required for Sirius sat radio not for RTT
5. It is 4WD in any mode.
6. Yes if it is still under warranty (mileage depending).

Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Also own a 2010 GT/XLS...

1. Got mine a few months ago and love it so far. I really love the FAST key system. If you live where it snows you may want to get snow tires (I am getting there :P).

2. I haven't had any issues myself so far not even the relay thing and it's been -30C a few days and she's always started like a champ.
The only "problem" I had was once I parked with my wheels turned on the street and I couldn't turn the ignition but I found the solution here :P Just had to turn the wheel a bit more.. Apparently this is common on many cars but I have never experienced this before so it was scary.

3. I've been putting in premium... I heard it burns more fuel at lower octanes and you loose power... I have never really tested this.. I might try a tank of regular or mid grade and see how things go for myself.

4. You get the traffic data for life with the receiver, but there is a monthly fee if you want sat. radio... It was like $12 a month when I had it a few years ago..

5. You get a lot more power when you are in tarmac mode... It really only shifts any power to the back when the wheels slip it's basically all automatic.. Snow mode shifts a little power to the back and then goes based on slippage and lock mode seems to send power to the back based on the throttle position. (You can press the info button and you will get a graph that looks like (||) and it will show you how much power is being sent to the back. When I was on dry pavement in tarmac I didn't generally see the 4wd system kicking in except when going around corners at speed.

6. I got mine from a Nissan dealer and they said the balance of the warranty was transferred to me. I haven't 2had any problems with it yet though so I can't say that I have had the opportunity to use it.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:10 AM

You say Outlander "GT". Are you in the US? If so, I'm not sure if all of the warranty is transferrable to new owners. In Canada, it is.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:25 AM

My stealership told me mine was a GT even though it's registered as an XLS.. It sounds like he's probably in the US though because he's talking in miles not km... I didn't know the warranty's were different in the US though.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 AM

GT does not have roof rails.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:19 PM

Hey thanks for all the inputs. It is very informative. I know all cars are not perfect but so far its sounds like it will be just as good as my 2007 XLS. The dealer advertised the model as GT, and the pictures show that it doesn't have the roof rails. This car is fully loaded with leather seats, sunroof, and Navigation. The dealer priced the Outlander at a discount from KBB so it will be interesting to see if there is any thing wrong with the car. That is why I asked about the warranty. How do I find out if the warranty is transferable? Also how many CDs does it hold and is there a USB or AUX input?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 PM

6CD changer, Aux input, and a USB input. When I bought mine the salesman said you could plug an ipod into the USB port using the charging cable and it would load and play your music from there. I'm not sure if it would play something like a flash drive with MP3's loaded on it, I've only used the aux input so far

Old 12-18-2013, 10:33 PM

Stock navi holds only 1 CD yet most likely it has USB and Aux ports.
Besides it is capable of recording audio CDs to built-in 40GB HDD.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 2010 Outlander GT