Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Looking to buy an Outlander... worth getting the Fosgate system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014 | 06:15 PM
|
Default Looking to buy an Outlander... worth getting the Fosgate system?

Seem to fit what I am looking for, i'm after a 2009'ish diesel. Any buying guides around that I can read?

Is it worth getting one with the built in sat-nav and RF system? I would like inbuilt sat-nav and a decent sound system, but I have read reviews that the RF isn't particularly refined? Would I be better off saving the money on a lower spec model and spending it on an aftermarket built in navigation, speakers, sub etc? Although I guess the rear-view camera would be extra again?

Thanks for any help...

Old 05-14-2014 | 07:05 PM

Yes it def. is worth getting!

Old 05-15-2014 | 12:24 AM

Reasons for NO :
1. The sat nav is not connected to the internet and that is Meh compared to a Android or iPhone with a constant internet connection. The maps most likely are older and expensive to update
2. The 2009 system doesn't come with FUSE bluetooth which means you can't stream music over Bluetooth, you can only use it for phone calls
3. Any decent aftermarket head unit will most likely do a better job

Reasons for Yes:
1. Better factory speakers
2. Included subwoofer
3. Car is already pre-wired

Old 05-15-2014 | 12:26 AM

Reasons for NO :
1. The sat nav is not connected to the internet and that is Meh compared to a Android or iPhone with a constant internet connection. The maps most likely are older and expensive to update
2. The 2009 system doesn't come with FUSE bluetooth which means you can't stream music over Bluetooth, you can only use it for phone calls

Reasons for Yes:
2. Included subwoofer

Old 05-15-2014 | 03:15 AM
|

Great info, - many thanks.

Are the head-unit & sat-nav integrated, or seperate units?

What is the main weak point/s of the RF system? Where's the first place to look to better the sound?

Is it the head unit, or maybe just fill out the door panels with flashing tape?

Old 05-15-2014 | 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
Yes it def. is worth getting!
Ditto.

My wife and I owned an '05 Lexus LS430 that had a Mark Levinson sound system. That very quiet, living-room-like vehicle was about as close as one could get to audio excellence while driving down a highway.

So first keep in mind that the Outlander is one noisy vehicle on the road. A refined, audiophile audio experience is not possible, IMO. For example, the dynamic range of music is severely limited by road noise. To hear quiet passages is nearly impossible without adjusting volume upward and then, when louder passages arrive, the volume must either be turned down or there is the possibility of hearing damage occuring.

However, the combination of our XLS's more than adequate sound system WITH the Fosgate woofer gives a remarkably good experience with today's popular, heavy-thumping music. For an OEM system, it's simply amazing, IMO.

Last edited by Outlaander; 05-15-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: several bad typos, sorry
Old 05-15-2014 | 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Corbul
Reasons for NO :

Reasons for Yes:
2. Included subwoofer
The 3 reasons for 'Yes' I agree with. The RF system also has expanded DSP controls to allow you to taylor the EQ settings and sound stage for different types of music.

Some of the reasons for 'No' I agree with. True the navigation works through satellite and won't be as up to date as the navigation feature on a smart phone. However depending on your cell service carrier, you may lose the ability to navigate as soon you leave the covereage area. Nice to have both if you don't have one of those old school paper maps or a copilot that knows where they're at .

The interior of the Outlander can be a little noisy on the highway. Lot's of sheetmetal area without any type of noise damping. So if you have noisy tread pattern tires and rolling down a choppy asphalt highway, it's pretty annoying. I started off with tearling apart the doors and rear hatch and stuck in plenty of damping mat. Made a pretty signifcant difference inside. But I still need to do under the headlinder and the rear cargo area.

Old 05-15-2014 | 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 11SE2HEAR
True the navigation works through satellite and won't be as up to date as the navigation feature on a smart phone. However depending on your cell service carrier, you may lose the ability to navigate as soon you leave the covereage area. Nice to have both if you don't have one of those old school paper maps or a copilot that knows where they're at .
Oh no, even on the phone I have Navigon with offline maps for any place I want to go, but Google Maps is very nice in the city when I have internet coverage. Most of the POIs like restaurants are not present in Navigon or Garmin, but you can easily find them online and just hit Navigate To without even manually typing in the address. I was with a friend driving a Lexus RX and the integrated Sat Nav was having serrious issues find a restaurant. We had no issues getting there by using my phone. Bottom line is, in this day an age, paying at least a $1000 for an integrated SatNav without a way to connect it to the internet is just a waste of money.

For the OP > The Outlander comes in two Fosgate "flavours" : One with integrated SatNav and one with just a regular CD changer. The speaker system and subwoofer is the same for both.

Old 05-15-2014 | 06:07 PM

Oh no, even on the phone I have Navigon with offline maps for any place I want to go, but Google Maps is very nice in the city when I have internet coverage. Most of the POIs like restaurants are not present in Navigon or Garmin, but you can easily find them online and just hit Navigate To without even manually typing in the address. I was with a friend driving a Lexus RX and the integrated Sat Nav was having serrious issues find a restaurant. We had no issues getting there by using my phone. Bottom line is, in this day an age, paying at least a $1000 for an integrated SatNav without a way to connect it to the internet is just a waste of money.

For the OP > The Outlander comes in two Fosgate "flavours" : One with integrated SatNav and one with just a regular CD changer. The speaker system and subwoofer is the same for both.
Haven't tried the Navigon yet. Will give it a try though.

My Outlander came with the in-dash 6disc changer. But I later changed it out for the SatNav. Never had a car with built in nav before and I like the other bells and whistles that are in the menu. The altimeter, the service interval reminders and other things come in handy from time to time. By the time I swipe though multiple screens on my Samsung Galaxy to find that info, I'll have a cop behind me wanting to write me up for texting while driving.

Old 05-17-2014 | 03:26 AM

Oh no, even on the phone I have Navigon with offline maps for any place I want to go, but Google Maps is very nice in the city when I have internet coverage.
Google Maps now lets you save desired sections offline; it's rather hidden/non-obvious, but it's there, search for the how-to (long-pressing search I believe)
Or Maps-With-Me can download whole countries, but I still prefer the look of Google Maps.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an Outlander... worth getting the Fosgate system?