Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Loud Clicking noise from engine compartment area (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/loud-clicking-noise-engine-compartment-area-42953/)

MitsuOutlanderXLS_08 08-30-2012 08:49 AM

Loud Clicking noise from engine compartment area

Hello all,

Newbie here! My Wife recently purchased a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS and is very happy with the consumer reports on this vehicle. The dealership did the 109 point inspection and replaced out all new tires, rotors, brakes and the shifter solenoid. Everything seems to drive fine and work well!

While test driving the vehicle, we noticed, while in park, a loud clicking / clacking noise in/near the engine compartment, which happens every 10 - 20 seconds intervals or so.

I have been researching the internet and this forum and only came across fuel injectors making this particular noise.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal or a major concern?

Thank you in advance!

Kevin

OutlanderGT 08-30-2012 01:46 PM

Probably the air condition system.
Mine sound like an air refrigerator coming on.

MitsuOutlanderXLS_08 08-30-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT (Post 286716)
Probably the air condition system.
Mine sound like an air refrigerator coming on.

LOL - I know exactly what you are saying. Once the A/C kicks on it sounds like a jet getting ready to take off!

I had the vehicle idle in my garage, with the A/C on and noticed the clunking noises. I decided to turn the A/C off and the clunking/clanking noise stopped. So i am assuming, the A/C is causing the noise and I maybe over reacting.
Thanks!

OutlanderGT 08-30-2012 02:31 PM

OK so you found it, it is the clutch in the AC compressor cycles off and on,
my previous mitsubishi also was loud.. but on the outlander it sounded like something threw a rock from the bottom of the car.

But Mitsubishi knows how to make a ice cold A/C

There is also something called idle neutral logic in the later models which may make a little more noises, and hill start assist. So my outlander has alot clicks going on whens stopping and going.

Also, everytime you start the car and drive off, you will hear a clunk once which is the ABS system testing it self, many new cars do this and not exclusive to the outlander.

MitsuOutlanderXLS_08 08-30-2012 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT (Post 286718)
OK so you found it, it is the clutch in the AC compressor cycles off and on,
my previous mitsubishi also was loud.. but on the outlander it sounded like something threw a rock from the bottom of the car.

But Mitsubishi knows how to make a ice cold A/C

There is also something called idle neutral logic in the later models which may make a little more noises, and hill start assist. So my outlander has alot clicks going on whens stopping and going.

Also, everytime you start the car and drive off, you will hear a clunk once which is the ABS system testing it self, many new cars do this and not exclusive to the outlander.

The noise sounds like a chuck of metal clanging in the engine. It is not consistent, I am guessing it's the AC compressor clicking off and on. I never expected it to be so loud. LOL

I will keep in mind there will be a lot of clicks and clunk noises. Appreciate ya chiming in and making feel more secure about the vehicle. =-)