Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Loud Clicking noise from engine compartment area

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Default Loud Clicking noise from engine compartment area

Hello all,

Newbie here! My Wife recently purchased a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS and is very happy with the consumer reports on this vehicle. The dealership did the 109 point inspection and replaced out all new tires, rotors, brakes and the shifter solenoid. Everything seems to drive fine and work well!

While test driving the vehicle, we noticed, while in park, a loud clicking / clacking noise in/near the engine compartment, which happens every 10 - 20 seconds intervals or so.

I have been researching the internet and this forum and only came across fuel injectors making this particular noise.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal or a major concern?

Thank you in advance!

Kevin

Last edited by MitsuOutlanderXLS_08; 08-30-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Probably the air condition system.
Mine sound like an air refrigerator coming on.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT
Probably the air condition system.
Mine sound like an air refrigerator coming on.
LOL - I know exactly what you are saying. Once the A/C kicks on it sounds like a jet getting ready to take off!

I had the vehicle idle in my garage, with the A/C on and noticed the clunking noises. I decided to turn the A/C off and the clunking/clanking noise stopped. So i am assuming, the A/C is causing the noise and I maybe over reacting.
Thanks!

Old 08-30-2012, 02:31 PM

OK so you found it, it is the clutch in the AC compressor cycles off and on,
my previous mitsubishi also was loud.. but on the outlander it sounded like something threw a rock from the bottom of the car.

But Mitsubishi knows how to make a ice cold A/C

There is also something called idle neutral logic in the later models which may make a little more noises, and hill start assist. So my outlander has alot clicks going on whens stopping and going.

Also, everytime you start the car and drive off, you will hear a clunk once which is the ABS system testing it self, many new cars do this and not exclusive to the outlander.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT
OK so you found it, it is the clutch in the AC compressor cycles off and on,
my previous mitsubishi also was loud.. but on the outlander it sounded like something threw a rock from the bottom of the car.

But Mitsubishi knows how to make a ice cold A/C

There is also something called idle neutral logic in the later models which may make a little more noises, and hill start assist. So my outlander has alot clicks going on whens stopping and going.

Also, everytime you start the car and drive off, you will hear a clunk once which is the ABS system testing it self, many new cars do this and not exclusive to the outlander.
The noise sounds like a chuck of metal clanging in the engine. It is not consistent, I am guessing it's the AC compressor clicking off and on. I never expected it to be so loud. LOL

I will keep in mind there will be a lot of clicks and clunk noises. Appreciate ya chiming in and making feel more secure about the vehicle. =-)