Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Maintain Resale Value, Give Good JD Power Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Default Maintain Resale Value, Give Good JD Power Ratings

Everytime I buy a new car I get a JD Powers consumer survey in the mail. Other than taking up my time, providing marketing fodder for the car companies and maybe warning future consumers about issues with the cars (the car companies already know what's wrong)... I can't see much personal benefit to filling them out and really saying "what's wrong" with the vehicle.

At worst, being totally honest and divulging shortcomings is going to decrease the future resale value of your car. At best, giving all excellent ratings will actually increase your cars resale value.

No matter what, when that JD Powers survey comes in the mail, I will mark everything excellent and deal with any "issues" at the dealer, the ones who can actually fix any issues.

My advice, give all excellent ratings as well and preserve the future resale value of your car.

Cliff.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Default RE: Maintain Resale Value, Give Good JD Power Ratings

.....sorry, but I prefer to be honest. If my car is a POS, I will rate it as such. The market has more effect on the value of your car than JDP IMO. I try to never buy a new car off the lot- talk about losing on resale value...lol. When factories are offering big rebates and low financing, the used car market goes soft. If your car isn't all that common, you will be hit and miss- you may find a buyer seeking your specific car, you may not. No one has ever sent me a survey I felt justified lying on. Besides, by the time my survey is read and filed with the other 100,000, I likely don't have the car anyway- I don't hang on to cars too long. The Outlander is about the longest I have owned a car. -----my .02

Old 12-03-2006, 07:21 PM

well, asking people to spend their time for no compensation seems, to me, arrogant of the survey companies... at least this way you have a chance of *maybe* having some future benefit from filling out the survey... also, none of these surveys are taken "under oath"... as always, caveat emptor :-)

Old 12-04-2006, 10:00 AM
drh

Why in the world would you lie on the dang thing.. if you are going to waste your time putting rubbish down, dont even waste the time to fill it out and send it back. This of course my opinion. If you are going to fill the thing out, fill it out the way you see the car, just like dirt said.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:09 PM

lets not forget that they will likely discard the scores that appear to be "out of range". If everyone is complaining about a vehicle and you write that your car is excellent in every category- they will probably discard that score and vice-versa.
Aren't the JDP surveys the ones you usually get regarding the dealerships too? The dealer I go to always says "if for any reason you feel you cnnot give us a perfect score, please see the manager before you leave".....been there and done that too. After trying to screw me over at one point, my dealer "prepped" me for the survey- and to my surprise, I got a survey in the mail from JDP. Let's just say that the dealer took better care of me next time.