Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Manual key (not remote) wouldn't open car - keyless entry key

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 04:11 AM
Default Manual key (not remote) wouldn't open car - keyless entry key

Hi All,

I have a problem to unlock my car (ASX 2012) from the outside. I have a keyless entry key (not the phobe). Recently, i forgot my key at my parents and tried to open the car with my spare key. The spare key battery was flat thus i tried to unlock my car manually inserting the key in the lock. To my amusement, nothing happened..no sound...nothing. I had to replace the battery of my key and open the car by pressing the button on the remote.

The car starts with my flat battery spare key but its useless if i cannot get into my car in the first place... both keys are fine and have verified over and over that they are the correct keys.
I read about a deadlock function however, i cannot remember pushing specific buttons at once to enable it...and besides that, I've read that this function doesn't let you open the car from internally not externally....

What's the use of having a manual lock on the handle if when i try to turn the key, it doesn't open?

I would appreciate your help as this issue is driving me nuts...

Thanks guys

Old 08-19-2020, 01:29 PM

It's possible the mechanical mechanism inside the door came apart. I had the same problem with my 2007 Outlander, and when I took apart the door to replace the baseball-shattered glass, I found that the reason my spare key wouldn't open the door was that the lock mechanism turned by the key came apart. I was able to put it back together to get the lock working again. The door panel is very simple to remove for service. Three screws, I think, and several pop rivets that will remove without breaking and can be put back in place. I found the disassembly instructions in the service manual posted on this site.