Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

mitsubishi airtrek electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 04:13 AM
Default mitsubishi airtrek electrical problems

hi
can anyone give me a link to a total electrical breakdown of the airtrek? my speedo stopped working and we are at a loss we have tested every wire even replaced speedo and km converter with still no joy, someone told me that the speedo could run through the abs or radio?? we have asked mitsubishi but they say they dont know anything about these cars to help (which is really unhelpful)

i stupidly asked on the evo forum (as my airtrek has an evo engine) and they were incredibly nasty and abusive towards me,

im at my wits end with this car we have been working on it for a couple of months now.
caroline xx

Old 10-30-2015, 11:13 AM

I believe the Airtrek is another name for the Outlander... What year is this?

Wheel speed is likely pulled from the transmission and compared against the ABS sensors... If there was a problem you should be getting an ABS light...

The easiest way to check would be with a scan tool to see if the correct speed is being fed over the CANBUS.

It's possible the dashboard module or the meter itself is broken.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:52 PM

we have had the car scanned and it says abs fault but no abs light, its a strange one ill talk to my dad/mechanic and get him to check through
it is a 2002 standard
the speedo was recently working but over reading maybe you have hit the nail on the head........
ill let you know, thankyou so much

Old 10-30-2015, 04:59 PM

the mitsubishi outlander was styled on the airtrek, but on the inside is very different, the airtrek takes alot of lancer parts (its a bit of a frankenstien of cars) my car has an evo engine but takes alot of lancer, anything else i have to import from japan, if it was outlander id have an easyer job of getting parts! lol
caroline xx

Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 PM

You need a more comprehensive scan that can tell you what the ABS error actually is.

If your getting intermittent faulty readings from the main speed sensor and it doesn't jive with the ABS wheel speed sensors it could set an ABS code.

I doubt a 2002 is using a speedometer cable... I'd expect it to be based on the speed signal in the CANBUS from the speed sensor (probably in the tranny), interpreted by the Body control module and then displayed on the dash... Any one of those items could be at fault...

Is the problem intermittent?

Old 10-31-2015, 02:38 AM

it was intermittent, the radio was playing up first (my daughter shoved loads of 2p and 5p's in it lol)then stopped working, then the speedo kept stopping and starting untill it eventually stopped all together.
there are no warning lights up on the dash, the car still drives beautifully

Old 10-31-2015, 11:26 AM

I can't see how money in the cd player would affect the speedometer...

If you aren't getting other warnings I'd be willing to bet the speed sensors and the data on the CANBUS is correct and the problem is most likely in the speedo itself (it is an electromechanical device with moving parts) or it's support circuitry, the dash board control module itself of the BCM that sends the data to the dashboard if so equipped.

if it's really expensive to fix and you don't want to spend the money, you can get a bluetooth CANBUS module for like $10 and an app for your phone that will display your car's speed, and just get a phone mount and charger for your car (as long as all the speed sensors are working correctly)

Old 11-01-2015, 12:24 AM

This may sound easy but maybe the metal from the change caused your fuses to burn out, have you checked your fuse box?

Old 11-01-2015, 01:26 AM

yes it was the first thing we did, along with replacing the cd player, i wish it was as simple

Old 11-01-2015, 08:48 AM

Did you replace it with an OEM one or an aftermarket one? (not that it really should matter)

Quick Reply: mitsubishi airtrek electrical problems