Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

mitsubishi airtrek electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 11:19 AM

its was a sony which i dont think was original to the car im not sure what he replaced it with maybe a jvc , the first owner (i am the second) had subs etc installed by what looks like someone did not know what they were doing (twisted wire and tape)and then ripped it all out when moved on to the dealer, this did not affect the car and drove fine for the first year, we uncoverd all this dodgy wiring and thaught this may be the problem as it was a mess, its back to the way it was originaly, and there is a current from each wire, i spoke to my dad today and he is looking at the abs system as the speedo is linked he had the speedo out and ran it through another car today and it works, which tells us a signal maybe going somewhere it shouldent and it maybe to do with abs system

Last edited by carolinexx; 11-01-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: put jmc insted of jvc
Old 11-01-2015, 11:22 AM

it was a sony which i dont think was original to the car we replaced it with a jvc, we had the speedo out today and tested it and it works

Old 11-01-2015, 03:51 PM

just the speedo or the whole dash module?

Do you have access to a scan tool to check the speed the car is seeing?

Old 11-01-2015, 04:38 PM

yes he dose he has had the whole thing out, he replaced the speedo not the whole thing and the km converter as its difficult to find parts as these are rare (i think i have the only standard airtrek in uk)
he is usually rewireing and restoring classics at his garrage,so this one has got him scratching his head. i live 40 miles away from my dad, on a farm so i have to get updates, he is well chuffed with your ideas as we were running out, you have told us more than mitsubishi
i could do with it getting fixed soon my spare is a peugeot 206cc and its dreadful,
with everything wired right and the speedo itself is not broken (except for choosing not to work in the car its made for) and he has checked and double checked everything except for abs.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:44 PM

so we know its not the speedo itself, or anything to do with the dash, it has been over reading, and when scanned shows up abs fault but no warning light, and the wireing is correct, and if the speedo gets signals from abs, this may be it (just watch, it will be something stupid like the bulb has blown for the warning light)

Old 11-01-2015, 05:25 PM

The warning light should come on at start up with the bulb test...

You need to find out what the ABS code is...

There should be 4 speed sensors (one at each wheel)...

Either the BCM is faulty or the speed on the bus is wrong or missing.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:18 PM

Obviously the first owner as you said, didn't know what they were doing as evident by the hack job that only used twisted wire and tape, that stuff simply upsets me.

The real question is, did they hack off the original factory connector, or did they at least use something like a metra adapter to plug into the factory harness??

Or maybe perhaps the speedometer and radio share the same ground wire, which would explain why your dash warning light may not be on either. If i had a wiring diagram for a 2002, i could tell you where to look, but i only have the manual for a 2007-2009.

Another question, is your tachometer working and not your speedometer?

Last edited by gggplaya; 11-02-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:49 PM

Ok, i was able to find a wiring diagram for a 2006 outlander, which supposedly should be very similar to your 2002 i presume. Download it here:
https://carmanuals2.com/mitsubishi/o...-diagram-69164

Scroll down to page 3-179.

You can see the speed sensor has it's own power supply, so with a multimeter, make sure you check for voltage at pin 1, with pin 2 being your ground.

The speed sensor appears to be a proximity or similar sensor with a transistor output which pulls it to ground probably when it see's a tooth or something. Check the voltage at pin 3, and rock your car back and forth a little to see if you can produce a voltage at pin 3. (the connector obviously needs to be connected for that).

I'm not sure what color (W-L) stands for but W probably means white, not sure what color L will be. But if you get the sensor to produce voltage on pin 3. Trace that wire to the various connectors. The wire eventually goes to a junction and splits to go to both the dash on pin 46 and the ECU on pin 86 on one of it's connectors.

Your car does not appear to use CAN for the speed signal, it appears to be a direct wire read from both the ECU and Dash.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:01 PM

Also, it appears the Dash shares the same junction connectors as the Radio. Connectors C-02, C-202, and C205 are shared.

C-02 can be found on a connector above the junction box. See page 1-20 to show where it is.

C-205 and C-202 are located in the actual junction box. Make sure all the pins are properly seated in their connector and it hasn't been tampered with.