Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

MMCS Customization

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Default MMCS Customization

So my wife has a 2008 Outlander XLS with RF and MMCS I have always liked this system and though about putting one in my vehicle. I finally found a MMCS on eBay from a wrecked 2008 Lancer for 100.00 plus 23.00 shipping so I jumped on it.
I was lucky it had the harness on the back with the AC Can Box. This is not going into a Mitsubishi product as I sold my 06 EVO this is going into a GM product. my vehicle has Monsoon sound system with Navigation but the head unit sucks it also has a rear camera system the video is displayed on a monitor that slides out from rear view mirror when reverse is selected.

I have powered up the MMCS on bench and figured out the wiring from info here on this forum and downloads of service manuals. I have also applied the DVD in motion hack also did my wife's outlander. next I wil unlock the hard drive and edit the start up message to my own customization.

Whats been tested so far

Powered up
speakers tested
Navigation tested on bench (not moving)
AM/FM radio tested
CD tested
DVD tested
AuX/Video in tested
reset mileage indication in special menu to my vehicle mileage not sure if it means anything because this will never receive update from etacs

What still needs work

Bluetooth
Premium audio

Bluetooth
I have the Bluetooth module I need to make a harness for it. It needs power
ground
2 connections to MMCS
2 connections for microphone
2 connections for Can Bus (can bus will only connect between AC can box and Bluetooth module luckily this is the connection in the Mitsubishi harness

Premium Audio
As it has been tested now the MMCS is operating with speaker level outputs. I have read here that the MMCS when attached to an RF amp it will convert to line level audio output or is it when when premium audio is activated via dealer programing.
Remote amp turn on, No feature on MMCS for this. There is a antenna amp wire but this is just that, and is 12 volt output when radio is on AM or FM but zero volts with any other selection so that's out. I did find a product that will take low level (as Low as .8 volts) signal and convert to amp turn on 12 volt signal I go that route
No mute wire

I have a RF amp here so i will need to try this to see if when connections are made between amp and MMCS if premium audio is changed in special menu.
If it needs dealer programing I will pop it into the wife's outlander and have the dealer program it, I hope I wont need to do that.
If anyone knows anything about the Bluetooth or premium audio I would appreciate your input

Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Default Update

I swapped the MMCS with the wife's this morning and both Bluetooth and Premium audio were enabled at the same time with her MMCS on my bench both were absent. So one of two scenarios here, 1 the device sends signal to enable feature on MMCS or 2 ETACS controls this feature I sure hope its number 1 because I have a RF amp and Bluetooth module and I am sure I can make that work in my vehicle. But the Bluetooth thing will be a bummer because that would mean an aftermarket Bluetooth that would kill my project.

Hopefully someone here has answer to this maybe the taking things apart guy

Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 AM

for the sake of your sanity and pocket book, I hope you get everything working, but I can;t see how you can put a Mitsu unit in a Chev and expect it to fully function.

You will have to get a pin-out for the GM wiring harness to show the corresponding wires and then get a pinout of the Mitsu and do the same.

Then connect the wiring in the correct manner?

I hope you get it sorted out.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:03 AM

Good luck getting a complete diagram for the Mitsi unit tho.... To date no one has 1 afaik

Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Default Latest Update

Yesterday I made a harness to connect the Bluetooth module to the MMCS for the CAN bus portion i connected directly to the CAN bus on the Environment Can Box the one right under the MMCS. all other connections are power and ground to connections directly to the MMCS and the Microphone.

Spliced in the connections last night and on power up Bluetooth was enabled on the MMCS. So no dealer programing there, all functions of the hands free system are working I managed to pair my phone and make a call. I had to cobble together a switch like the one for hands free in the outlander but I found in another post here where someone found the values of the resistors for the steering wheel controls.

Needless to say that part of the project succeeded. Now onto the Premium audio. I need to make a harness for that maybe tonight.

I already have the adapter to interface any radio to my vehicle and retain all the original feature in my vehicle donated by a friend. so far the total investment excluding time is less than 150.00.

When i am done i will post here complete diagrams of the wiring with pictures of custom harnesses

Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Default Another Update

I got the harness made for the RF amp connected everything by the wiring diagram powered the bench and waala premium audio enabled. Now here is the tricky part the DSP for premium audio is actually part of the RF amp not the MMCS so the MMCS needs to see this digital signal from the RF amp before premium audio is enabled this is a 60Hz sine wave about 7 VPP on 2 different connectors on the amp and MMCS on amp D26 Pin 3 and D25 pin 34 and on MMCS C11 pin 82 and C14 pin 6.

So the decision is do I want premium Audio on the MMCS and the sound customization it offers, it may require using the RF amp and doing some custom wiring in the my vehicle. or using MMCS with speaker level output and use a LOC box to make compatible with my current factory amp. I know metra makes one than can also provide an amp (ON) wire from a .8 volt signal I doubt the quality of conversion is all that good maybe its a try and see its only a 30 dollar part.

Does anybody know if Mitsubishi uses the retained accessory power IE does the radio stay on after car turned off until a door is opened or 10 minutes which ever comes first?

Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 PM

Afaik there's no retainer,but I think that is a good thing.. I hate parking up and switching car off completely only to be in a silent chamber lol..
Anyhow well done sir on your venture ,but remember.. Be sure to post images and info so that the next member greeted with this similar outcome can be guided through your how to steps..