Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

MPG issue on '07 XLS

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Default MPG issue on '07 XLS

bought a new '07 outlander xls fully loaded in july, i'm only getting an average of 20 mpg even with an average speed of 40 mph. i'm noticing the rpm's jump considerably once i touch the gas, took it to the dealership and he said all was fine. what gives? i'm using 2 wd and no air or heat even, 87 octane gas if that makes a difference, thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Old 11-18-2007, 05:40 AM
Default RE: MPG issue on '07 XLS

Shame you are not on our side of the pond! I have an UK spec07 Elegance with 2.0 litre diesel engine, at an average of 40 mph it returns about 43 mpg. As an excercise I did a journey of about 60 miles on motorway with cruise control set at 50 mph and it returned an unbelievable 53 mpg according to the trip computor !!, -- truck drivers weren't very happy though !!
Happy Motoring !
Ron

Old 11-18-2007, 06:36 AM

hero76, do you drive a lot in urban traffic? start/stops and frequent accellerations will affect your mpg much more than your average speed.
I don't have a technical background on cars, but if your outlander ever got bad gas, mayby the injectors are dirty.
The brand and type of gasoline might make a difference. Try to find a blend that's supposed to contain extra additives namely detergents. And then mayby some long highway driving may be good to clean the engine a bit.

From what I've read in other threads, this can also be caused by the computer which may not be calculating the optimal air/fuel ratio, which may be related to wrong data from the MAF-sensor?
Mayby you could reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for half an hour? who can tell us more about this procedure?
Good luck!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:18 AM

How many miles are on it? Do you stop and go alot? Do you let it warm up or idle alot? How do you drive? Are you going by the computer or actually doing the math? Are you buying cheap gas, I bought gas from a BP station and got poo poo mileage, so I only use shell now.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:18 AM

Hi Every1,
First time poster...long time lurker. Just want to start off saying great forum. Have learned a lot abot my new Outlander (07 XLS) purchased in september.

Hero76: I am having same issue. My mileage only averages between 19-20 mpg (actual calaculated mpg not off the nav). Right now I have only 3000 mi on Outtie so was hoping lower mpg was due to break in. i have not brought it in yet for 1stoil change/check-up.

My driving is mostly highway and stop and go. I varied driving habits (avg speed 60 vs 80 mph, 2 wd vs 4 wd etc) between fills to see if anything improves mpgwith no improvements.

My vehicle was manufactured 5/07 so not sure if any of the TSB's apply. Do not havelag.

I love the Outtie but right now disapppointed with the mileage too. From other posts I previously read seemed 23-24 mpg was the norm.

What is every1 else getting?
Is this norm for break in? If so when did you start seeing an improvement?
Did the TSB for lag improve mileage? If so what was your increase?

Quetion not related to this thread:
My nav periodically loses pairing with bluetooth cell phone. Anyone else have this issue? I know itsnot the phone because nav in set-upmode is no longer pired with any phones.

Great forum...looking forward to hearing from every1

Regards

Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 AM

My gas mileage went up as I got more miles on it. I am up to 7000 miles and I get between 22 and 24 mpgs. I know there is a problem with certain phones and the blue tooth but I have no problems with verizon.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 AM

I have about 7500 miles on my XLS 4WD and also get 19-21 mpg. I drive approx. 50/50 city/hgwy. I've done the TSB which fixed the lag but didn't affect the gas mileage.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:35 AM

I also use shell gasoline because it apparently gives me the best efficiency of a few gas stations nearby. They do claim to use some economy formula for their Euro gasoline blend.
Other factors that may cause the differences in mpg are: motor oil type & viscosity and atmospheric temperature
By the way, if I understand correctly there are also states where non PZEV-type of Outlanders are being sold? this may also cause a difference in mpg I would assume.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:11 PM

I get around 19-20 mpg with my 07 V6 XLS 4WD in mostly city driving. The people getting higher mileage must drive differently than I do... not sure how to get 24 mpg around town.

I believe the current (revised) CAFE numbers are 19 city and 24 highway, that's about what I get. That's still way better than most 6 SUV's get in real world driving.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:20 PM

The new EPA is 17/23 versus old EPA 19/26

Guess from some responses 19-20 is more the norm for mix city/highway.

Again just a little disappointed, from some earlier posts here and on Edmunds appeared many were claiming abt 24 mpg. I have found the nav is no true indicator ofactual mpg...perhaps many claiming higher mpg are using the nav versus calculating true mpg

Again very happy with the Outtie but was hoping to match mileage of Subaru Outback (22-24 mpg) I traded in. Oh well the Outlander beats butt on Subaru in all other areas.

Regards

Quick Reply: MPG issue on '07 XLS