Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

MPG, when on 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Default MPG, when on 4WD

We've all felt the wrath of recent gas prices. So my question to you all is, does anyone else notice any significant increase in MPG when set to 2WD instead of auto or lock? I have not taken the time my self or driven enough to come up with conclusive numbers, so I was wondering if anyone else has any input on this.

So far the only way my MPG seems to be affected is dependingon driving behavior, the more spirited driving leads to poor MPG ( obvious) and so on, but not sure if setting it on 4WD will have that much of an effect on it, we all know the manual says 2WD = better fuel economy, but I just dont see it.

your input is greatly apreciated, thanks.
Oto

Old 05-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Default RE: MPG, when on 4WD

When the dealer loaned me a 4WD, I played around with the settings and didn't notice much difference..but it wasn't exactly scientific..

Driving behavior will be a much bigger factor..

I get ticked at the people that race from lights and then slam on their brakes to stop...they're not getting there any faster than I am by averaging out my speed and I guarantee I'm getting much better mileage.

Everyone should read into hypermiling..just to get a few good tips..however they dogo a bit overboard with some techniques that border on unsafe..such as driving 10 under the speed limit and tailgating semis

Old 05-23-2007, 12:01 AM

LOL, yeah I know what you mean about the street light racers.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:04 PM

I will be taking a trip this weekend and thought it would be a good oportunity to test this out. On my way up I will be driving on 2WD, and on my way down on 4WD(auto). I will post results on sunday when I get back.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:18 PM

It's hard to compare when you're going different directions due to the wind direction.

If the terrain is similar over the whole route, go half way in 2WD, then the rest in AWD...or split it into quarters

Old 05-24-2007, 09:22 PM

Good suggestion, I will do that.
thanks

Old 05-27-2007, 04:28 PM

you will get NO improvement in milage if you place the car in 2wd vs. AWD.
the componants are all still in complete motion (the axles and differential from the tires, and the propshaft from the transmission/transfer case). The only difference is that the electro/hydraulic clutch that transfers power from the propshaft to the differential is not engaged.
Im not even sure why mitsu installed a 2WD mode, as its of no benefit in anyway.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:40 PM

Yes but although it's all in motion when power from the propshaft to the differential is engaged isn't there an increased load on the engine and less when disengaged?

Old 05-27-2007, 06:43 PM

From my 07 Outlander XLS 4wd...
I notice about a 1 MPG difference when the 4wd Auto is engaged.
Maybe from a 23 down to a 22 mpg average...Also possibly a greater loss in city traffic.

Please remember...this wasn't a scientific test.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:54 PM

1 MPG difference matches my observations also.

Quick Reply: MPG, when on 4WD