Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

MPG, when on 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Default RE: MPG, when on 4WD

1) People believe they have two different systems, 2WD and 4WD with most people believing from past history and knowledge of 4WD systems that there is additional load.
exactly. this is NOT a "shift on the fly" 4WD system. this is an AWD system with a computer controlled clutch. The more amperage sent to the clutch, the less it slips. At a certain amperage, it slips no more (until its maximum torque is reached, and I have no idea what that is.. Im sure its will into the thousands of ft/pounds, though.).
the componants are always in motion. The clutch just determines the amount of torque transferred from the propshaft (being spun by the transfer case) to the rear differential/axles (being spun by the tires).
No amperage = no transfer of power. Like reving your car engine in nuetral.

2) Because people believe there are two different systems they instinctively select 2WD for most "normal" driving and 4WD for when environmental conditions warrant. These conditions typically contribute more to the poorer fuel economy notthe drive system.
quite possible. I did think of one potential therory, though.. its POSSIBLE that the transfer of torque through the propshaft and rear differential is LESS efficient than through the front tires. So instead of 100 percent going to the front wheels with a lesser degree of parasitic loss, 50 percent (or whatever the ECM decides) of the power will go to the rear, but suffer a slightly larger loss of energy. As such, the engine will need to create more torque equal to the percentage of parasitic loss associated with torque transfer though the rear. Friction losses dont change, but energy losses may.
3) Older 4WD systems were perceived to have noticeably less power than 2WD so driving habits are affected as well - i.e. more lead foot syndrome.
really, that could just be the case.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

ORIGINAL: rtrackr99

Hey "Manybrews"!
Doyou own a '07 XLS 4WD?
Or, are you just speaking your mind based on your own theories?

All the '07 XLS 4WD owners seem to agree with each other based on experience.
You seem to be getting kinda sensitive about the whole subject.
Just curious...Take care!
you do realize ive worked for mitsu for 16 years, right?
I didnt know that. I just thought you drank a lot of beer and had waytoo much time on your hands [sm=partyparty.gif][sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 06-05-2007, 05:28 AM

Hey Manybrews!

You're a "Good Sport"!

But I still believe that the difference in MPG exists!