Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

My Outie Sounded Like a Harley!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 06:21 PM
JMC
Default RE: My Outie Sounded Like a Harley!?!

Wow....this sounds crazy. Please let us know what happens. Good Luck!!!!

Old 03-24-2006, 07:20 PM

now you're going to make every Outlander owner change their wheel bearings...lol. We all get crappy fuel economy as far as I've heard.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: dirtwagon

now you're going to make every Outlander owner change their wheel bearings...lol. We all get crappy fuel economy as far as I've heard.
no shhh.....lolz!!!

Old 04-04-2006, 07:07 PM

Not to worry - seems like it is not the wheel bearings. I brought it to 2 different dealers and to a repair shop. They all diagnosed the noise to be that of an out of round tire. I still have a hard time believing that because it really sounds like a bad bearing. That wap-wap-wap sound and some faint grinding noise doesn't seem like tire noise. They said the only way to get rid of the noise is to change the tire(s). Even if that was the source of the noise, it still will not address my poor fuel economy problem that happened virtually overnight back in December!

Also, I just got these tires about 6 months ago! They are BF Goodrich Traction tires that are V-rated. Cornering with them is way better than the original stock tires, but I don't think I will ever get BF Goodrich tires again. Perhaps I'll stick to the more expensive, but less prone to problems Michelin tires.

I'm getting weary of these problems (wap-wap-wap noise and poor fuel economy).

On another note, I had my tires rotated and rebalanced by Costco and they broke the alloy wheel's center cap because they are used to removing caps by prying them out (most other cars are like that). Mitsubishi center caps need to be pushed in (after unclipping them from the inside). This happened when I got the tires from Costco last September and then again last week! When will these people ever learn!?! The worst thing is that if you don't follow up with them (Costco) and twist their arms, they will never order them and install them - even if they broke them. It's in their policy to replace them, but one is usually at the mercy of the people who work in the tire department who don't give a $h!t about what they do. Sheeesh....customer sevice levels in general are declining in almost every industry - car service, department stores, general contractors, etc, etc!

-TinkerMan

Old 04-05-2006, 12:34 PM
JMC

Yeah...going to Costco for anything but the mega size Mayo is a bad idea. I wouldn't let those guys park my car let alone change my tires.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:27 PM

Those bastards wouldn't sell me upsize tires on my Blazer either, it's "against store policy". I prefer tire shops for my tires anyway. I hear that the tire companies have different "quality" tires than the ones you would get at say" Firestone", the compounds are slightly different. Anyone else heard that?

Old 04-06-2006, 05:22 PM
JMC

I'm sure that's true! The tires might be a little less from Costco...but if you have time...get the tires online for way less and go nuts!

Old 04-07-2006, 02:28 PM

I would do that if I were getting rims too, easier to negotiate mounting/balancing, etc when I purchase from a tire shop with tires only. I NEVER pay what they are asking. Besides, I want free flat repairs...I use it. I don't like the hassle of some things online. I have a Big-O around the corner, we take three cars to them, so when we need tires, we get them almost at cost. Last time I paid no mount/balance/ removal/disposal and of course rotations/road hazard. I shopped tire rack and those places and by the time you pay shipping, drag them to be mounted...ugh, not worth the $40 that I will negotiate below anyway. Some say I'm cheap...I tend to agree now that I think about it

Old 04-07-2006, 03:11 PM
JMC

Hey...if it works for you go for it! Just be careful!!

Old 04-07-2006, 06:09 PM

quality is always factored in, it's not worth me negotiating on cheap shyt that I'll need to replace right away and have to start all over again. e.g. my Auto Zone brakes...lol. Back to Mitsu pads for me thanks. Those things almost caused me to not stop at an intersection...that scared the hell out of me. They weren't the cheapo's either!

Quick Reply: My Outie Sounded Like a Harley!?!