Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Navi/Aux/Radio Defects?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Default Navi/Aux/Radio Defects?!

All right, I haven't been picky about short comings of Outlander, but it's starting to get to me. I have 07 XLS w/ Navi... so here I come

1. Radio/Sirius reception is just horrible when car is in motion. When I had Siriusit hadnumerous drop outs and Radio barely can stay in stereo. (I have new 2008 Sentra to compare reception to with XM)

2. AUX output. If you don’t have anything plugged into AUX it makes some weird noises. Once you plug it, they do go away though. Ok, that’s great, but if you set your mp3 volume to medium or lower you’ll hear some distortions, so you have to keep it always at high settings. I have a Nokia N82 cellphone that I use as mp3 player and I don’t want to do that every time. Not to mention that you always have to raise up volume when you have mp3 player plugged in.

2a. This is by far the most annoying issue. When I have MP3 player plugged in and I listen to soft music (jazz or classical) I will be hearing whine noise and as speed increases the whine noise also increases. (Volume is at 30)

3. EQ/Volume auto adjust based on speed doesn’t seem to make any difference

Comments? Thoughts?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Default RE: Navi/Aux/Radio Defects?!

What does the dealer/service dep't have to say? I have used the AUX port occasionally and I don't seem to notice anything like that.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:53 PM

Hi, sorry to hear about your issues...You should have them checked out by the dealer, no doubt. You may have a bad ground.

I have 2008 XLS with navi.

1.) Sirius satellite is flawless. No drop outs.
2.) Aux input has no no noise whatsoever
3.) I listen to IPOD and listen to a lot of Jazz in fact at various output levels. All clean.
4.) EQ - Auto Volume, works fine.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:02 PM

Thank you for your replies. Once I gather enough detail here I'll made a decision if I want to take it to service department which is 50 miles away...

The only things that bothers me a lot is whine noise when I have mp3 player plugged in. Anyone else might have that problem?

What happens when you don't have anything plugged into AUX and select that mode with normal volume. Do you hear pure silence or distortion sounds?

Old 05-01-2008, 02:48 PM

I have the same issue with the noises when nothing is pluged in to AUX. I'm kinda used to it and doesn't really bother me. Once I unplug my cell phone/mp3 player from it I just switch to the radio and the noise is gone.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:50 PM

what about whine noise? or if you set your mp3 player to low volume and increase volume in your navi? Can you test that please?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:12 PM

MySirius works great except under bridges, but that's normal (acquiring satellite feed).

I haven't used my aux for anything. Do you mean the plug on the bottom of the Nav unit or behind the armrest? From what i've read on this site the aux port on the Nav unit is for service updates only. Ipods/etc should be plugged into the armrest jacks. I haven't tried turning on the AUX button as a stand alone test. yet.

I'm not audiophile or electronics wiz, but i've experienced the "whine"sort of thing with other vehicles. As you step on accelerator the whine grows. I think the whine noise is related to a bad ground in the speakers/head unit.It could also possibly be the series ofconnections you have goingcausing someradio frequency interference. The quality of soundis probably affected by this series of connectionswhich could causeyour whine noise/distortion. Since you have the cell phone/mp3 player, the 3-6ft cord for aux tap,and that's all plugged in as an external unit the crackling sounds are a resultingside effect.

If you are having these issues tho, i'd replicate them for the dealer and let them sort it out. May require replacement of speakers or a check of connections to the MMCS.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:13 PM

You talking about whine noise during playback? I'll test it tonight and let you know.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:19 PM

I'm not audiophile or electronics wiz, but i've experienced the "whine"sort of thing with other vehicles. As you step on accelerator the whine grows.
That's exactly what I mean, it's only during music playback when I hear this whine as speed increases

Siriusreception on mine is weaker then on 2008 Sentra with XM.Previously I had 06 TSX with XM and it also had strong signals.I am not talking about bridges. Sirius for instance would cut out in open area or with some trees around and same spot XM on Sentra doesn't have this issue.

FM on Outlander is another headache, if the car is in motion "Stereo" red icon on Navi would be flickering (on and off) and there will be noise in the feed, however if car is stopped I get good signal.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:46 PM

No I didn't notice any whining. My Sirius reception was ok too when I had free 6 month.

Quick Reply: Navi/Aux/Radio Defects?!