Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Navigation Map?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Default RE: Navigation Map?

Count me in.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: batman47

Interesting stuff!I would like to know who manufacture the Navigation DVD (Mitsubishi) in the USA.
Quite sure Mitsu use the professional services of reputed GPS firms in the USA, e.g.
Garmin or something. What does it say in the cover of the DVD?
Someone said a while back that the company that handles the maps and such is NAVTEQ http://www.navteq.com/

But Mitsu is not on their site for updates. You can only get it through a OEM supplier or the dealer.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:52 AM

I'm surprised Mitsubishi isn't listed. That sux! I was hoping for a "group buy" discount. Guess the dealer is the only game in town.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: batman47

Few years ago I solved this problem of navigation (on the cheap) by using my home laptop
to navigate not only in the USA and Canada but all over the world.

The Mitsu navigation package is $1,800 and sometimes I wonder if it is worthy to inflate
the price of an Outlander and have headache every times we want to upgrade ($$$) the navigation
stuff and unable to take your car outside the USA for great adventures.
I use this setup in my Corolla. It's great. Every year I can get the latest and greatest nav sofware and maps for $30-$50. Last year's updates can be found on e-bay for even less. Unfortunately, the system is clumsy (due to having to lug around a laptop everywhere). I agree that an $1,800 system should at least offer this basic upgradability.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 PM

Willow, will you consider burning the disc before you do the install to your computer or another dvd disc? I suspect if you burn off the original and do the install with the copy you will be able to get all your $ back. I will donate to your paypal account for a disc and the information you put on it.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM

if that works I think everyone would be willing to buy a discounted copy. 100 dollars for outdated maps is ridiculous in my mind.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:57 PM

It's actually not. If you shop around for other make's maps updates, they're about the same pricepoint. As I said, maps costs Navteq money to produce. Can you imagine how many people they hire to scour the entire USA for new subdivisions and road constructions? Mitsubishi is simply buying these maps and sell them to their own customer base. But as I said again, a one-time free map update within the 5-year "new car warranty" period would be a reasonable thing to ask.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 AM

rcpax,
I totally agree with your "one-time update" statement, but getting MMNA/MMC to make it intoa bulletin or dealer request is the tough part.

Maybe somebody associated with a dealer canstep up andsetup a "group buy" for the members of this site fora DEEP discount...hint-hint, wink-wink, nudge-nudge. I'd guess at least 150 of us would jump at the latest 2006 update disc for say $60. You figure 150 people paying $60 for an update disc is $9000 all at one shot. Just an idea.[:-]

Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 AM

I am concerned that it won't be as simple as the Gracenote CDDB update, because as Manybrews said, it (the DVD disc) can only be installed only once. Now, I don't know if he meant once on the same MMCS but you are able to on other MMCS's, or one time only and you won't be able to install on all other MMCS's. He also talks of an install "kit", which he didn't elaborate on.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 AM

I believe it works in the sense that you can only install it once using the code that they give you. The disc itself should still contain all of the data, you just can't install is on another MMCS without a code. As for the "kit", I have no idea, I don't know what you would need though, just the CD and a code right?

Quick Reply: Navigation Map?