Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.
View Poll Results: A poll
The poll seems not to work right, disabled for now, Please reply below
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Is it necessary to have mud guards installed on the Outlander?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Default Is it necessary to have mud guards installed on the Outlander?

^ [>:] The poll seems not to be working, so I have disabled the poll, please reply with your answer below , thank you...

Hi, I am new in this forum. I just got my new 2008 Mitsubishi Outllander LS (7 seat, standard package).

I was reading through 50 plus pages in this forum about mud guards being necessary or not. To tell you the truth I was very surprised Mitsu. did not include mud guards as standard feature. Even worst to find that an OEM set of them from Mitsu. cost between $119 to $370 (depending on where you live, The red Japanese set is so tempting but it is too expensive).

... I was also thinking of buying a non Mitsu. set but the fact that I would have to cut them and drill holes all over the place does not fly well with me ...

So before I go out and lay down some big dough for a set of what I would like to call "the most expensive plastic I will ever buy." I would like to hear your responses from both people who have bought a set and people who have not. Especially, people who live in areas with heavy snow, ice, sand or rocks (I live in the city so I see more heavy snow and ice)

I am also thinking of buying a hood deflector, the cheapest I have seen around is $89

Again any comments, recommendations, anecdotes are very welcomed

Thank you in advanced [&:]

Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Default RE: Is it necessary to have mud guards installed on the Outlander?

Tried to vote, but it didn't work. I would strongly recommend the mud guards. Originally went without and I am now regretting it as there are lots of little rock chips on the rear door.

I also went OEM as I was not willing to drill new holes and the installation was extemely simple with the OEM guards.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 PM

Have a 2007 XLS I purchase the OEM ones as well almost as soon as I purchased my car. Basically for the same reason as Chowc I didnt want to put more holes in my care then needed to be there. I live in VT and wouldnt consider driving around here with out them.

$119USD isnt a bad price considering the cost of a whole new paint job.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 PM

I would say in most placesthey are a necessity. I am probably one of the exceptions living in Phoenix where you don't get snow or for that matter a lot of rain. As long as I don't take my outtie off road,I probably don't need them. BTW. The $119 price from Mitsubishi is not a bad deal. Thats $30 a piece. If you search the internet for good quality mud guards you can easily pay that much for each one, and at least you know the ones frommitsu will fit properly.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:14 AM

I can only speak for my country's climate and road conditions (Canada). GET THEM. Gravel of any sort will eat your paint; it's just the way the tires flare out to the body.

Run your car through a little wet mud and see the dispersion pattern up the side and door. It's pretty intense and I have the mud guards. Without them, it's horrific.

:-) Scared you eh? (<-Yes I am Canadian) Seriously worth the investment over paint job.

To those who wonder why they aren't included in the price of the vehicle... Look at the price of the vehicle (lower than most) and look at what you get (more than most). Mitsu does need to make money right?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 AM

I would definitely suggest using them. I bopught some at Pep Boys and installed them myself. Here are a few pics.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17999/5EE39241D84944B58B70799159437BF8.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17999/310B581A13E247C281BEC91CF0D72506.gif[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2008, 10:56 AM

Stefman, those look about as good as the ones you get from Mitsu. Especially the fit around the body of the car. Do you remember what brand, model number, size, etcthey were at Pep Boys. I knowthat trying to find ones that fit 07-08 outties is difficult. A lot places have them for 06 and below outties, but not 07-08.Also what was the price.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 AM

The flaps pictured are Road Sport Pro Fit Splash Guards Size 1. I think they were $17.99 per pair.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17999/104578DAE8D24A84A749E108E4745981.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17999/873C79D932BB418BA7F931000F677A8F.gif[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2008, 11:37 AM

Those are nice, did you had to do a lot of drilling around?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:39 AM

No not at all. The rear were harder to do than the front. Most effective way would be to take off the wheels. You would get a better angle on the rear.

Quick Reply: Is it necessary to have mud guards installed on the Outlander?