Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Need help with steering wheel controls????

Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Default Need help with steering wheel controls????

On my '07 Outlander, the steering wheel controls for the radio and bluetooth on the left side of the steering wheel are not working. The cruise control on the right side works fine. Has anybody seen this problem, and if yes, what did you do to fix it? Anybody have any suggestions beside taking it to the dealer - they won't help with any advice at all and want $250 just to check it out + parts and installation time. UGH!!
Thanks

Old 01-23-2013, 03:04 PM

Check the resistance between the wires coming from the steering wheel controls to the stereo:
Second Generation Outlander Stereo Wiring - Mitsubishi Wiki

Make sure it changes when you press a button/isn't an open circuit. Then download the service manual and check for the proper resistance per button.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 AM

Thanks ivanz for your help. I'm going to have to search out a pro to do this job. I was hoping it would be something simple, but no joy.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 AM

are these the factory controls? did you add a steering wheel control for an aftermarket radio?

I had issues but it was with all aftermarket equipment. Ended up doing it myself because i went to an inexperienced installer -___-

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM

I had a problem a while back where the volume up and volume down buttons on the steering wheel would only turn the volume down. Could not turn the volume up at all using the steering wheel controls. I hit it a few times and it seems to fix itself. Caveman logic I know, but these are first world problems.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by MB07
I had a problem a while back where the volume up and volume down buttons on the steering wheel would only turn the volume down. Could not turn the volume up at all using the steering wheel controls. I hit it a few times and it seems to fix itself. Caveman logic I know, but these are first world problems.

I had the same issue a few months ago...It was intermittent, but obviously not working right. Mine was still under warranty. Said it needed a new relay switch. Works fine now.....

Hope that helps.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by xOutlanderFiendx
are these the factory controls? did you add a steering wheel control for an aftermarket radio?

I had issues but it was with all aftermarket equipment. Ended up doing it myself because i went to an inexperienced installer -___-
Everything is completely stock.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by MB07
I'm not ready to 'get a bigger hammer yet" but I may give it a try if nothing else works - I'll let you know.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
I had the same issue a few months ago...It was intermittent, but obviously not working right. Mine was still under warranty. Said it needed a new relay switch. Works fine now.....

Hope that helps.
This really gives me a place to start. Do you know where the relay switch is located on the car?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 PM

It's easy to check if you are comfortable to remove the stereo (which is a 5 min job). You just need a $10 miltimeter that measures resistance....just make sure each time you press the button the value on the thing matches what the service manual says.
Not sure what a switch has to do with it, it goes from the wheel, through a clock spring, to a wiring harness going into the back of your stereo. Don't believe there is any relay involved....that may have been some radio power supply issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with steering wheel controls????