Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Need some info from a HID owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Default RE: Need some info from a HID owner

thanks ford! I will be waiting for the install.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: tdford

ORIGINAL: n0c7

Do we actually have HID's in the Outlanders? I thought they were just halogens. Are you guys talking about the fog lamps or headlights?

*trying to get up to speed*
Yes many Outlanders have HID's. In US it was included in the "Luxury Package". And Yes the Outlanders have halogens for both fog's and headlamps...

HID is a type of bulb: High Intense Discharge

Halogen is a type of housing, some other vehicles have Projector housings. Which I think is confusing you. My last vehicle had projectors, with NO HID...
I was under the impression that the bulbs were either halogen or HID. Thought you needed projector housings in order to have real HID lighting, and HID bulbs by themselves were usually halogen bulbs filled with xenon gas which were really knockoffs. I guess I have some reading to do to get things straightened out.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 AM

Do we actually have HID's in the Outlanders? I thought they were just halogens. Are you guys talking about the fog lamps or headlights?

*trying to get up to speed*
Yes many Outlanders have HID's. In US it was included in the "Luxury Package". And Yes the Outlanders have halogens for both fog's and headlamps...

Halogen is a type of housing, some other vehicles have Projector housings. Which I think is confusing you. My last vehicle had projectors, with NO HID...

ORIGINAL: tufduck

where can i get 6000k bulbs? easy to install if followed by my outtie manual?
EBAY: http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&category0=

Like kene4466 said, its not in the manual to replace the HID bulbs (high voltage warning). Should be ok with disconnecting the battery though. It's a tight fit though, small hands would be great. I've ordered a set of 6000k, waiting for delivery. I'll take some pics of the install.
Ya make a DIY, If I disconnect the battery will all my settings reset on my navigation. BTW which bulbs did you get on that link above.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: kene4466

Ya make a DIY, If I disconnect the battery will all my settings reset on my navigation. BTW which bulbs did you get on that link above.
Disconnecting the battery usually resets settings. I guess I wont know till I do it though. But with HID systems its best to disconnect...

With halogen bulbs, you usually get what you pay for. The cheap ones always burn out and with brands like PIAA they last a lot longer. I'm guessing things will be similar for aftermarket HID bulbs. They range from $20 to $200. I went with the middle of the road, about $70. I'll post pics of everything...
[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 PM

If you’re paying any price less than $200 they made in China and of poor quality.

The Chinese even make counterfeit Bosch labelledhids

Bosch does not make any aftermarket HIDs and never will.

puddy

Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 PM

I was under the impression that the bulbs were either halogen or HID. Thought you needed projector housings in order to have real HID lighting, and HID bulbs by themselves were usually halogen bulbs filled with xenon gas which were really knockoffs. I guess I have some reading to do to get things straightened out.
EDIT, WHOOPS!

Dont know what I was smoking when I typed that???

HID and Halogen are two different TYPES of bulbs. Halogen is not a type of housing like I previously said. Sorry.

What I was trying to say is that there are two (2) types of housing that vehicles have. One is:

Reflector: this is what you see on most vehicles. It reflects the light into a concentrated beam onto the road. The reflectors inside spread light outward. This is what the Outlander has.

Projector: this is more of a "high-end" type of housing (more expensive). You'll see them on more expensive vehicles, usually, not always. They are round and look like "eye *****"... They concentrate the light into a precise beam onto the road, like the name states, they "project light". More efficent for sure

What I meant to say is that I think you are confused by the fact that most HID systems are in projector housings. And since the Outtie has a reflector housings how could it have HID. Right?

Halogen or HID bulbs can go into either reflector or projector type housings. For example my last car had projectors (that were great) but had halogen bulbs. My Outtie obviously has reflector housings and has HID bulbs. Im still waiting on my new 6000k bulbs to arrive. When I get the install posted you'll be able to see the big difference. Sorry to be so winded, just wanted to clear up the INCORRECT statement I made earlier...

Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 AM

Ok good, I guess I was on the right track. Thanks for the clarification. Now I'll have to check if I have HID bulbs, but being the Canadian model I'm not too positive.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:44 PM

GOOD NEWS! Just got done replacing out the oem HID's. I took my time and had to figure some things out (getting the bulb out was a tad tricky), but is a lot easier then most might think. I took some pics, just waiting for it to get darker to get some night pics. I will do up a nice DIY and post later tonight...

Also, did NOT have to disconnect the battery!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:06 AM

Unfortunatly I'm leaving town for a week and the DIY didnt get finished... sorry. I just need to finish editing the photos and writing it, which takes some time. The install is done though. Next weekend I'll have time to get it posted, till then heres a teaser pic...

Old 03-09-2008, 10:42 AM

Unfortunatly I'm leaving town for a week and the DIY didnt get finished... sorry. I just need to finish editing the photos and writing it, which takes some time. The install is done though. Next weekend I'll have time to get it posted, till then heres a teaser pic...

Whatever happened to the install pictures, I been thinking bout getting some 6K hids I wanna see how it looks, and if it was easy to replace.

Quick Reply: Need some info from a HID owner