Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

new Outlander owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Default new Outlander owner

Hello!

I have just got my new Outlander XLS 2009. Nice car, I really like it, it is my first new car. Using it for 3 weeks so far, only about 300 km.

I have a question to ask to more experienced Outlander owners. I have noticed after about one week that there is rust around the exhaust pipe connection (see the second photo), visible from the back side of the vehicle. I am wondering - is it normal for a new car like this?

Attached Thumbnails new Outlander owner-outlander_xls_2009.jpg   new Outlander owner-outlander_exaust.jpg  
Old 04-21-2009, 09:50 PM

Welcome to the board!!!
You will totally enjoy the Outlander. I see that you have installed cross bars on your Outlander. Are they from the dealer? They look exact same as mine, and mine was from the dealership. But it made too much noise at highway speed, so I took it off.

And as for the exhaust, I say don't worry about it. Exhaust and other things other the car is going to rust. It wont affect you for your driving.

ENJOY!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:03 AM

Thanks

Yes, these are factory rails and bars. We have decided to get the original ones + the bike racks because we could put them on the same 0% financing program, I find it beneficial. Plus, I have verified the prices for Thule parts and the dealership prices were close enough. The cross bars do make a lot of the noise even at 50 kph, unless you install the rubber placeholders coming with them. This is not very convenient to remove them before installing an accessory and then putting them back once the accessories are removed, but this is the price I have to pay to remain silent

I had a problem with these bars, still trying to figure out who is right. Thule Web site is missing the manual for this model, I should probably ask them the question. What is the right way to open the bars to put or remove the accessories? The guy at the dealership told me that I need to use the key to unlock it and then take out the whole end cap, i.e. the part where the lock cylinder resides. I have seen on the video that it is enough to just open the little latch on the side, the lock on the end cap apparently protects the bars themselves from being [easily] removed. But this latch won't open easily, looks like it is a bit too long and its edge needs to be cut for 2-3 mm, otherwise it goes too far underneath the aluminum bar. So I am confused now.

I was surprised how much noise the sunroof deflector produces! But I really enjoy the side window deflectors, I like driving with the windows open, at least partially, when it is not too cold.

I was surprised seeing rust on this part of the exhaust pipe. I understand that the car was exposed to humidity even before it was sold to me, so, its physical age is probably around couple of months. I am concerned about the rust on the exhaust pipe because it was the major (and the only one) problem with my old Nissan Maxima 1996 - I was replacing various parts of the exhaust system at least once a year because of rust. Of course, the salt in winter contributed a lot to its premature wear.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 AM
tcp
Default Exhaust rust

The exhaust system on the outlander is actually stainless steel. Most manufacturers use that now because the emission systems have to last 90000kms due to EPA regulations and are warranteed as such. Check your emission warranty and the exhaust system has to last that long. You might get a bit of rust/discoloration around flanges and welded points because the welding rod contains more iron, but all in all there should be minimal long-term rust. It'll last a lot longer than your maxima.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:57 PM

Congratulations and welcome!

Can you post pics of your crossbars with the rubber placeholders on? I am looking into getting the OEM bars but don't like the noise and still want a useable sunroof.

Speaking of which, I am also thinking about getting the sunroof deflector - but they still produce noise? Do they produce a lot noise? Is this still true with the sunroof open? Or only when the sunroof is closed?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg
Congratulations and welcome!

Can you post pics of your crossbars with the rubber placeholders on? I am looking into getting the OEM bars but don't like the noise and still want a useable sunroof.

Speaking of which, I am also thinking about getting the sunroof deflector - but they still produce noise? Do they produce a lot noise? Is this still true with the sunroof open? Or only when the sunroof is closed?
Here are the pictures, they should give a good idea about how do they look like.

By the way, you can also check out these flarings:
http://www.thuleracks.com/product.as...d=83&sku=870XT

As for the noise from the deflector - it is not significant, I just had a chance to compare "without" and "with" because the dealer forgot to install the deflector when the car was delivered, so I had it installed about a week later. Comparing to the whistles produced by the cross bars without the rubber covers - this is nothing And, of course, this noise exists only at 110+ kph and if you open the sunroof - you won't notice any additional noise from the deflector, there will be enough noise coming from outside.

Attached Thumbnails new Outlander owner-pict0411.jpg   new Outlander owner-pict0412.jpg   new Outlander owner-pict0413.jpg   new Outlander owner-pict0414.jpg  
Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Yea, I have the same cross bar from Mitsubishi.
And NO! You do not have to remove all the parts to take the cross bars off. At first, I didn't know how to remove them, so the tech at the dealer show me. All you need to do is take your key and unlock the lock. After unlocking, the whole end plastic thing should just shift out. Then just spin the lock counter clockwise, and that will loosen the grip that is grip to the roof rails. Do that for all 4 corners. They are handy, but makes just too much noise. I need to put mine back on soon because I'm doing a move soon...

Name:  2-1.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  76.5 KB
Name:  DSC00155.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  59.9 KB

Last edited by ShortyRider; 04-22-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 PM

There is a ghost in your car!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 PM

Ok - I have 2 separate types of questions:

1.) without crossbars, is the sunroof deflector noisier than without at highway speeds when the sunroof is open AND closed, or just when it is closed? I am guessing it substantially cuts the noise with the sunroof open by a lot? How about at highway speeds (which is when I really notice the noise from a open sunroof)?

I'd like to get the sunroof deflector if it will cut back on the noise of an open sunroof at highway speeds, but not if its going to create more noise than usual when the sunroof is closed - does that make sense?

2.) for the crossbars, do the rubber inserts significantly cut back on the noise/whistling? How about at highway speeds? I am assuming that you are supposed/can leave the rubber inserts on when you are attaching a cargo box?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg
Ok - I have 2 separate types of questions:

1.) without crossbars, is the sunroof deflector noisier than without at highway speeds when the sunroof is open AND closed, or just when it is closed? I am guessing it substantially cuts the noise with the sunroof open by a lot? How about at highway speeds (which is when I really notice the noise from a open sunroof)?

I'd like to get the sunroof deflector if it will cut back on the noise of an open sunroof at highway speeds, but not if its going to create more noise than usual when the sunroof is closed - does that make sense?
It does reduce the noise, but not eliminates it, of course. I would estimate the noise reduction effect at ~25..30%, not more. I believe it routes the air flow the way so most of it does not hit the rear edge of the sunroof. You get much less wind in the cabin.

2.) for the crossbars, do the rubber inserts significantly cut back on the noise/whistling? How about at highway speeds? I am assuming that you are supposed/can leave the rubber inserts on when you are attaching a cargo box?
They eliminate the whistling completely, even on the highway. The general noise is still there, but it is much less annoying than the whistling. Without the rubber inserts the people are looking at you when you go at 50 kph on the street

And, unfortunately, you have to remove the rubber when attaching anything. But I have noticed that if you have the attachments installed, then there is almost no whistling. They cover significant part of the bars and they break the air flow, I think.