Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New to the Outlander world

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Default New to the Outlander world

Hey all,

Just bought a 2009 Outlander LS. PIcking it up Saturday. Never owned a Mitsubishi OR an SUV (I've had mazda protege5 and 3 for years), but we decided to try one of these!

Is there any info I need to know about the Outlander? Any common problems with them? I have heard the paint is thin and might warrant a 3M bra - thoughts on that? I'm in ALberta where they put gravel down in the winter instead of salt!

One thing I did notice is that during my test drive, I noticed some loud clicking when I went into turns to test the thing out. Does any of the safety features (EBS, etc...) cause any physical noise. Obviously I am concerned about this and want to know what it might be.

Looking forward to being part of the community!

Cheers all!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 PM

Welcome,
Your going to love it.
All the info you need is on here, and much more.

There are safety features that make a clicking noise, but I have never heard them while turning. (Only after starting the Outie)

There was a recall on the brake booster. I bought mine after the recall, and I guess they did not take care of it before hand because I just got my recall notice.

Good luck and have fun

Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by piast
You made a good choice. I'm still very happy with mine, after two years . There is one thing, you should consider doing right away.
Many owners experienced small paint chips and damage to the bottom of the rear doors, driving on gravel or sandy roads, through construction areas or during winter (sand/salt mix). Seams that high ground clearance, flared fenders and lack of body cladding or mud flaps, combined with those conditions can cause some troubles. Unfortunately, regular mudguards do not totally protect the side of the car, but they do reduce the height of the exposed area on the door flares. You can search this forum for solutions. Running boards, extra long mud flaps or standard ones with extensions (the last setup works for me 100%) seams like effective ways to solve this problem.
On positive side, great handling, perfect safety features, great cargo flexibility, nice gadgets, good looks, good power (V6), and AWD choices.

SO ours has normal mud flaps and not the 18" tires. Do you need to get the extensions to the regular mud flaps at the dealer? What do they look like?

ANy thoughts on the 3M bra for the front? Like I said, they put gravel down on the roads here instead of salt.

We pick it up Saturday, but I am still concerned about that noise I heard when out for the test drive. As far as you guys know, there is nothing that is supposed to click or make any noise when throwing it into a turn (not overly hard either)

Thanks !

Old 10-13-2009, 09:43 AM
tcp
Default perhaps color dependant

I live in Calgary. There is not supposed to be a clicking noise in turns.

Our 2007 LS with the 16" wheels has zero chipping issues. I have the factory mud flaps. My Outlander is silver, but other colors may have more problems with the chipping issue. The front end is fine but we do have the deflector on the hood front.

Take it back to the dealer and show them the clicking issue. It could just be some coil binding or rubber grommets that are wearing in, but why take a chance that it's something bigger.

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
SO ours has normal mud flaps and not the 18" tires. Do you need to get the extensions to the regular mud flaps at the dealer? What do they look like?

ANy thoughts on the 3M bra for the front? Like I said, they put gravel down on the roads here instead of salt.

We pick it up Saturday, but I am still concerned about that noise I heard when out for the test drive. As far as you guys know, there is nothing that is supposed to click or make any noise when throwing it into a turn (not overly hard either)

Thanks !

Old 10-13-2009, 07:01 PM

you may hear a clunk after starting it and then accelerating to 5-7 mph. That is the ABS checking itself. Mind blowing that Mitsubishi would allow that on a production car...but they do it.

I haven't noticed any paint chips or whatnot yet...except for the one where my wife backed into a b4rbed wire fence!

note...can't say b4rbed wire fence....you get ****** wire fence

Old 10-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Default winter tires?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards getting a clearcoat for the front (Stoneshield) and since the outlander has mudguards already on, I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the rear doors (just lower half correct?)

Also, any thoughts on winter tires? The dealership is offering 205/60/16 Firestone Winterforce studdable (but I will not be studding them). I priced around and it actually is on par with local tire shops.....Has anyone else put these on the outlander? Here in SE Alberta (and I've only been here for one winter), there isn't as much accumlation of packy snow or powder, as there is really hard, packed, turned to ice flats on the road.....

Thanks again!

Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM
tcp
Default Lethbridge Mitsu?

Lethbridge Mitsu is where we bought ours, even though we live in Calgary. Better price at the time (june2007). I use these on all our vehicles in the winter:

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...peliitta+R+SUV

Sadly only available here in AB:

http://www.kaltire.com/retail/tires/...=LW&cat=LT/SUV

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards getting a clearcoat for the front (Stoneshield) and since the outlander has mudguards already on, I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the rear doors (just lower half correct?)

Also, any thoughts on winter tires? The dealership is offering 205/60/16 Firestone Winterforce studdable (but I will not be studding them). I priced around and it actually is on par with local tire shops.....Has anyone else put these on the outlander? Here in SE Alberta (and I've only been here for one winter), there isn't as much accumlation of packy snow or powder, as there is really hard, packed, turned to ice flats on the road.....

Thanks again!

Last edited by tcp; 10-14-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by tcp
Lethbridge Mitsu is where we bought ours, even though we live in Calgary. Better price at the time (june2007). I use these on all our vehicles in the winter:

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...peliitta+R+SUV

Sadly only available here in AB:

http://www.kaltire.com/retail/tires/...=LW&cat=LT/SUV
YEah, it is Lethbridge Mitsu - they seemed nice enough. I think I will go with the Firestone winterforce - like I said, it's what they are offering and it seems to be pretty close to the price through KalTire. I have heard highway driving may be a bit wonky from a few people, but others say these winterforce tires are fine. I have about 70km highway round trip to work abougt 2 times a week...so I'm hoping for the best.
I only have experience with mazda3 size cars and Nexen winter tires - hence all the questions about the outlander

What size are you running on those winters?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:11 PM

I Go stock, 215/70/16....For winters...

Old 10-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I haven't noticed any paint chips or whatnot yet...except for the one where my wife backed into a b4rbed wire fence!
Your wife and mine must be related

Originally Posted by ccernst

note...can't say b4rbed wire fence....you get ****** wire fence
Thats messed up

Quick Reply: New to the Outlander world