Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Owner and Ham radio issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 08:58 AM
Default New Owner and Ham radio issues

Hello, New 2018 Outlander owner (traded my charger and got a deal I could not walk away from)

Do we have any other radio hams or CB guys in here?, Looking for a spot to mount a 2 meter antenna, don't wanna drill and not too keen on a mag mount on the roof. I used a trunk lip mount on my charger but dont see that option on the lift gate of the outlander

Old 01-02-2019, 07:23 AM

Cannot help for the position of the antenna but just remember the roof is Aluminum at least on gen 2,3, and probably yours too.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 PM

On my Outlander 2.2DiD (diesel, 3rd generation, EU version, 2013) the roof is steel, I tried CB magnetic antenna and it sticks very well.

Although I do not trust magnetic antenna, I want to have it permanently fixed, my preference is foldable antenna mount. There are plenty solutions out there. Of course nobody want to drill the roof, but the only option then is to lead antenna cable along roof rail into trunk door frame and then into rubber sealed back lights wiring. Personally, I have installed racks on the roof rail and a good option for me is to attach antenna holder to couple of bolts on the rack. I may post picture later on, attached is the view to the Thule rack base with those two bolts. These bolts I've already replaced with a bit longer ones for future antenna holder mount.

Mitsubishi recommends to install CB or other communication antenna on the left (driver) side of the car approximately at the same level (distance from the trunk door) as FM/AM/DAB antenna. Another general recommendation is to place the antenna cable as far as possible from the airbags (for example curtains airbag) because they can be activated by the high electrical power/field which can be produced around the cable (especially bad one).

Driver side roof rack from Thule. Two visible bolts can be used as a holder for roof antenna.

Last edited by daem0n; 01-03-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:30 PM

For years I had hesitated to drill a hole in my 2012 Outlander. This summer I finally did it. I should have done it years ago. It was a very easy task. With the proper drill bit, the bit was through the aluminum roof in about 3 seconds -cleanly. I located the hole about 2 inches aft of the rear seat overhead light assembly, ran the cable along the headliner, down the center post, along the runner, into the dash area and exited at the console front center base. It is now usable for my 2m/70cm Amateur radio or my public safety scanner. The Amateur radio improvement is quite noticeable.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by allezzov
For years I had hesitated to drill a hole in my 2012 Outlander. This summer I finally did it. I should have done it years ago. It was a very easy task. With the proper drill bit, the bit was through the aluminum roof in about 3 seconds -cleanly. I located the hole about 2 inches aft of the rear seat overhead light assembly, ran the cable along the headliner, down the center post, along the runner, into the dash area and exited at the console front center base. It is now usable for my 2m/70cm Amateur radio or my public safety scanner. The Amateur radio improvement is quite noticeable.
Interesting that Outlander in EU has a steel roof and in North America it is made of aluminum. I can drill steel roof too, but then I have to protect it from corrosion and at the same time ensure a good electrical contact with it. I will soon install my antenna (and its newly made holder) on a roof rack and post some pictures here!