Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Owner - Inside Info/Tidbit/Review/Experience - Please Read & Share with Me

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Default RE: New Owner - Inside Info/Tidbit/Review/Experience - Please Read & Share with Me

Hello dazed:

I went to the Vancouver Mitsubishi dealership located on 216 W2nd Ave. Their website is http://www.vancouvermitsubishi.ca/
I do recommend them and the person I dealt with is Andrew, who is very nice but make sure you do your homework still. Henry is the top salesperson there and I have also talked to him. Andrew's manager transferred over from a Honda Dealership along with Andrew himself so therefore, Andrew maybe able to convince his manager more than Henry, but Henry is still the top salesperson. Now you have a choice of 2 people to talk to but the other guys there all made me feel welcome.

If you are indeed in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver, avoid going to NewType Mitsubishi in Richmond. They are very stingy there and the manager there is so uptight about test driving and such. I could tell you a few stories later if you want.

Good Luck dazed and I did get 800 bucks off the MSRP. Remember, it's more expensive to buy a car in Canada, so if you can buy in the US, even with a broker fee to bring it over, it may be cheaper. I was leasing so I rather deal locally.

BoldlyGoingNowhere - Thanks for the satellite information, I'll check out the thread.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Default RE: New Owner - Inside Info/Tidbit/Review/Experience - Please Read & Share with Me

ORIGINAL: Nexter

.............One last thing, I noticed that the Outlander rear wheel well gap is much lower than the front, esp with full tank of gas and the back seat/cargo space empty. I will take pics of this, I was wondering, has anyone noticed this too? I thought cars were built to accomodate the full weight of gas tank so that the rear suspension isn't lowered by the weight of the full gas tank? Maybe this is a common symptom of multilink suspension?
I noticed this as well. It is just the way they designed it. Looks even worse with a trailer attached. I'm thinking about some airbags for trailer towing.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:38 PM

Fisherman....phew...thanks for your reply. I was getting worried that I might have gotten a Outlander made on a Saturday (Don't the Japanese work from Mon to Sat?).

After noticing my rear wheel well being lower than the front, I started to really pay attention to other models of SUV's and the majority of them are either equal to the front wheel well in terms of gap space or even higher!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 PM

Heres a trailer towing question. Do you run 2WD AWD or 4WD? The reason I ask is because if it lightens the front that much wouldnt it be better to have in 4WD but then would it overheat the rear transaxle (or whatever its called) I didnt notice anything in the owners manual, only that they changed something about the towing and trailer brake specs with a sticker.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Nexter

Hello dazed:

I went to the Vancouver Mitsubishi dealership located on 216 W2nd Ave. Their website is http://www.vancouvermitsubishi.ca/
I do recommend them and the person I dealt with is Andrew, who is very nice but make sure you do your homework still. Henry is the top salesperson there and I have also talked to him. Andrew's manager transferred over from a Honda Dealership along with Andrew himself so therefore, Andrew maybe able to convince his manager more than Henry, but Henry is still the top salesperson. Now you have a choice of 2 people to talk to but the other guys there all made me feel welcome.

If you are indeed in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver, avoid going to NewType Mitsubishi in Richmond. They are very stingy there and the manager there is so uptight about test driving and such. I could tell you a few stories later if you want.

Good Luck dazed and I did get 800 bucks off the MSRP. Remember, it's more expensive to buy a car in Canada, so if you can buy in the US, even with a broker fee to bring it over, it may be cheaper. I was leasing so I rather deal locally.

BoldlyGoingNowhere - Thanks for the satellite information, I'll check out the thread.
How long did you have to wait for Outlander?

I bought a silver XLS at Vancouver Mits also from Andrew, he's a very nice fella. I thought Henry is his manager because we were discussing the price and Andrew would have to consult with Henry.

Beware of Newtype Mits in Richmond, they got some shady practices going down there.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:19 AM

Hey justlam,

I didn't have to wait at all for my Outlander XLS Graphite Grey, there was 2 brand new ones in their overflow lot near Science World...and both had like 11kms on them. How long did you have to wait for your silver XLS, and if you did have to wait for it, when did you buy it?

Yeah, Andrew is a very nice person. Henry I talked to too, and he's very nice and knowledgeable.

In regards to NewType, I heard that they once asked for one grand deposit just to test drive the Eclipse. My personal experience is with a salesguy/dude name of Richard Yu. Nice guy in a starfish kinda of way (very passive laid back, didn't say hi right away when I was snooping around till a little later when he was the only salesguy on floor. During the test drive, he didn't even bother to volunteer any information that may be useful in selling the Outlander, just sat in the backseat like a Starfish along for the ride) Richard asked me to keep the test drive short and not to tell his manager we went too far. I have never ever had a problem test driving a vehicle with so much restrictions especially when I'v shown I'm a serious buyer.

justlam, what are the stories you heard about NewType? The manager there is so unfriendly looking that when I first visited NewType, he looked at me like I just delivered his daughter home late to him after a date or something. Do people in Richmond don't care about service or something and just because there's a lot of rich immigrants in Richmond, does that mean they are use to crappy service back home that they expect "you drive, you buy" attitude from car dealerships? I heard that NewType is losing a lot of money and they overordered the LS models so they have a lot of LS models on the lot. I also learned that they don't play nice with other Mitsubishi dealerships when other Mitsu dealerships need to trade inventory with them.

To sum it up for all you folks in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver, Vancouver Mitsubishi and North Shore Mitsubishi are the recommended 2 places that I know of that is good. Skip NewType of Richmond until they improve their salesmanship.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Funny thing is New Type was the only place i went to so far to have a quick look at the outlander. I even have the salesman card next to me as I type this . I will give Vancouver Mitsubishi and the one on the North Shore a try when im closer to test driving.

Im really interested in how well the Outlander handles hills and so any test drive would need to include a visit to north van.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 AM

I live in Kamloops and we don't have a local Mits dealer here. I bought from Pacific Mits in Pitt Meadows - new dealership in November 06.It is a very small dealer but one with excellent customer service - I can't say enough. For example, even though I do most of my own maintenance, I stopped by to have my first oil changed and there was a delay so they gave me a brand new Montero to take for a spin until the oil change was done! As I said, small dealership but awesome service - if you are looking to buy from Pacific Mits, see Randy Turgeon and tell him Rich referred you!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:45 AM

I'm from the Lower Mainland as well (Maple Ridge). We bought our Outback from Autohouse Mitsubishi in Abbotsford (Pacific Mitsubishi in Maple Ridge didn't have the model/colour we wanted, otherwise we probably would have gone with them).

I was fairly impressed with the sales and management at Autohouse. However,we had extremely poor servicefrom the parts department: One month after we bought the Outback, the headphone unit snapped in half. I had to call the parts person 5 times (essentially, once a week for over a month). Everytime I called, I was told that they were "working on it", and that I would be calledback -- not once did I receive a call!). Finally, I spoke with an assistant managerand got a replacement unit.

I'm not overly upset about the length of time it took (they are a fairly new dealership, and are still learing the ropes). but I HATEwaitingforpromised calls that never come. Because of this incident, we'replanning to switch to Pacific Mitsubishi for parts & service (oil changes, etc.)in the future. (I would rather give the orginal dealer the business, but Ijust can't support the level of unprofessionalism I received from them).

Old 07-11-2007, 12:26 PM

I've waited for about 1 week for the XLS @ the Vancouver dealer, was going to get Grey colour but under some circumstances that Silver one is available soon after, so I took it.

I originally sign the purchase form with Newtype, but I discovered a flaw in the contract. I was going to finance the vehicle, and the total interest is $600+ above the actual amount. I've verify with my bank and same results, they overcharged for total interest. So I went to dealership to get my deposite back, the manager is there just watching there so I asked him about that total interest amount but he didn't seem to care.

So whatever, I got my money back, and don't want to deal with those guys again.

Omg I test drove with him too! Yeah hes a passive fella, doesn't talk too much during the brief test drive. I guess hes not a strong english speaker, he must be Taiwanese or something, sometimes I gotta use my broken Mandarin.

Quick Reply: New Owner - Inside Info/Tidbit/Review/Experience - Please Read & Share with Me