Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

a new user with Navi/Video in question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:09 AM
Default a new user with Navi/Video in question

morning, ladies and gentlemen,

i joined just recently when i started shopping for a new SUV to replace my 5-y old Honda HR-V. it's been hard to find an affordable automatic car/SUV with the coolness/fun factor of my current SUV which' original nickname is JoyMachine.

i have been drooling at Murano for ages but the price (US$59K) just doesn't justify it. also, the fuel economy is not what i expect driving 45 000 km a year.
then i noticed the new Outlander when it was in concept phase. it had my name on it!
unfortunately the Outlander is only available in diesel/manual combo here until autumn (as you all know) and the money burning my pocket i went to look for alternatives. found the Subaru Outback 2.5, fully loaded with leather, navi, huge sunroof etc. the test drive and knowing that there'll be a new model soon kept me from buying it. the Outlander is MUCH better to drive, even with the manual transmission and diesel.

anyway, to keep the long story short: being a gadgetomaniac i would like to know if it's possible to feed A/V signal to the Mitsu Navi head. it's relatively easy to do in the Outback's Navi system, just some connections, also to disable the handbrake lockout.

thanks in advance,
mrtn

Old 06-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Default RE: a new user with Navi/Video in question

Sounds as though you and the current resident gadgetomaniac, Rdenis, could have some great conversations . Check out this thread for some info on the A/V front / rear subject matter. And welcome to the forum from a fellow newbie!

Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 AM

It is easy to feed A/V to the head unit but I am guessing you are looking for a way to accomplish this while the vehicle is in motion. To do this is not so easy. The problem is the Mits Nav software is programmed to take speed inputs from the GPS. Above 6 km/hr the software will block the DVD screen from showing anything and will give a warning message.

You can unplug the GPS but then you lose a tonne of functionality.

The only true solution is a CAN bus hack with a software patch. The only other vehicle I have seen with the same issue which has been resolved this way is Chrylser. Unfortunately, I am not a software engineer but this would be a great project for anyone who has the time and capability. Most new vehicle Nav systems are being built this way so ineveitably hack solutions will grow - the days of just grounding the parking brake are going quickly.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:48 PM

Im going to talk to my buddy that is a audio installer some more tonight. He told me a way to by pass it with the gps. He said its a real bitch when they intergrate the gps into the dvd for the speed sensor but he does by pass them.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:38 PM

thank you, thank you!

no, i don't necessarily need the A/V feed to be on while driving. of course it'd be fun for others at least.

hmm. i'm talking like i had the car already....

Old 09-27-2007, 10:07 AM

Gentlemen,

This week I placed an order for the 2008 Outlander Instyle 2.4 A/T, fully loaded. Today I sold my HR-V as well so I have to drive my company van for at least a month now. I have to start digging into the Mitsu multimedia system hacking again

Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: mrtn

Outlander is only available in diesel/manual combo here until autumn (as you all know) a
Which country are you based in?

Puddy
mines a UK Outllander diesel (VW) manual 2008 model

Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 AM

I'm in Estonia. The diesel models were available from April this year, I think. I definitely wanted the automatic and the first ones arrive late October/November.