Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Wheels and tyres

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 03:58 AM
Default New Wheels and tyres

Hi guys!It's my first time here in this website and first time to own an Outlander 2006!
I would like to know if I can change the current wheels and tyres 215/60/16 into 235/40/17.
Will I experience any problems with this? It so happen I have one set of good as new alloy wheels and tyres with this size and thinking to use these with my Otlander.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Default RE: New Wheels and tyres

You should have no problems doing this.....the outlander special edition which is what i have comes with 17 inch wheels from the factory.......Wheel choice is up to you...what color is your outlander

Old 08-26-2006, 04:30 PM

welcome!!! you should consider the radius/diameter of that new wheel/tire combination before using them. if your oem tires are 215/60/16, then a 40 series tire on a 17" rim should be sized like 285, 295 to maintain an accurate speedometer/odometer reading.
you can check the internet for a tire-size calculator like i did before buying new 17" rims and tires for my '06; though i'm surprised
your oem size is different from mine which were 225/60/16. i eventually bought 225/55/17's for my outlander. those tires you have will cause something like a 4-5 mph error in your speedometer reading at highway speed as their diameter is over 2" less than your oem's and would ultimately give a grossly inaccurate odometer reading as well after several years. if you don't mind all that, then use the ones you have. however, with the large wheel-wells the outlander has, they'll look real small. otherwise, consider 215/55/17's which would have a diameter within 1/10" of your 215/60/16 oem's. we'll all like pictures when you're done, but i shouldn't be the one to say that as everyone is still waiting for me to post pictures of mine....good luck, whatever you decide to do!

Old 08-26-2006, 06:42 PM

expositor is exactly right.......i might even consider getting different rims...my favirote color choices are black or gunmetal

Old 08-26-2006, 09:34 PM

Hello guys!Thanks for the replies!
The size of the tyres I would be using is actually 235/45/17 and not 40 series as I have mistakenly mentioned in the previous query. Yes the Aussie version of Outlander LS comes with 215/60/16 tyres. I'll definitely post a photo once I am done with this.
THanks again!

Old 08-27-2006, 03:07 PM

Congrats on the purchase. I was wondering where you were from when you wrote tyres instead of tires, but found out later in the thread. I think changing wheels is a good idea on the Outlander as long as they are no larger than 18's....then you will lose power and may need braking upgrades. I would go 17 or 18 inch. I agree with 06 OutlanderSE on the black or gunmetal wheels...they are so much better than chrome and silver.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:42 PM

i have to 'third' my cohorts here; i bought gunmetal wheels and i think they look pretty nice on my outlander....yes guys, i'm workin' on that digital camera, though i'll leave my grey-bearded visage out....i've broken mirrors before, and i want to keep the camera awhile....

Old 08-27-2006, 05:55 PM

That's okay, we only care about the car and the wheels...lol
[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 08-28-2006, 07:59 PM

your response has been noted....lol

Old 10-10-2006, 02:00 AM

hi guys,

finally some pic's (hope i attach the upload properly) of the new wheels and my 'custom' installation of the weapon-r intake....this site only allows a few at a time as i'm sure you all know; i'll send more in another post later on....my homely mug is not included....i didn't realize the setting sun would be as noticeable as it turned out in the pic's, but hey, i'm obviously not much of a shutterbug.

well, i continued getting errors for the file size, and then after just trying to send three pic's, got an asp500 error, which i can only assume has to do with the forum site, but what do i know? if anyone has an idea of what i loused up, please feel free to correct me. i just 'clicked' on that upload remark at the bottom of the posting field and then waited for the errors to come....

Quick Reply: New Wheels and tyres