Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Noise from Cross Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Default Noise from Cross Bars

Has anyone experienced wind noise on an 'original equipment' cross bars. At highway speedsI get this whistling sound. It was fine with just the roof rack rails.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Default RE: Noise from Cross Bars

I don't have the Oem one but I have Thule and I have to use the Thule fairing so I don't get the noise. Don't know if Mitsu makes one for there Oem crossbar.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:43 PM

I have Thule with no fairing. I dont get a whistle or any noise thats too loud.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:20 PM

I have Rola crossbars and they make noise above 70 km/h (aprox 45 mph I believe). Easy enough to remove if they get too annoying. I have to take pictures before I remove them.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: tdford

I have Thule with no fairing. I dont get a whistle or any noise thats too loud.
What is the model of your crossbar do you have the Aero one?? I have the LB50 the black square one and without the fairing there Buzzing over 70km/h.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 AM

I just install a brand new pair of Thule last week. I experience the whistling sound even @ 30 miles/hour speed. I am wondering if intalling the wind deflector on the sun roof can help, since I don't like the look of the fairing. If not, I will return the cross bars. Any suggestions?

Old 04-25-2008, 01:08 PM

After I got the fairing on the noise was gone and it's my 3 car with Thule rack I install the fairing on all of them. At first I did not like the look but I really do now give a sportier look to it.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 AM

I had a similar problem with Yakima cross bars. Though it was more of a low howl than a whistle. Bought the fairing on roach's recomendation and the problem went away.
What I am concerned about is what happens when you are using a ski box and the installation does not allow for the use of the fairing? Does anyone have crossbars with the sunroof wind deflector?

Old 04-27-2008, 03:13 PM

I have the Thule Bars with a Thule Atlantis 1200Box, I noticed a bit of a sound when I installed it, but I was surprise at how little noise it made, I don't have the wind deflector, and the level of noise I'm getting is not going to make me get one. One thing that might make a difference is the possition of the bars, my front one was about 5 inches from the front of the rails, and the rear one was about 6 inches from the back.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:25 AM

I have a thule with the lb50 bars and a bike rack and an Evolution 1600 box....the noise is really not that bad...and if I close the sunroof (cloth) panel I do not hear anything (there is not use for the sunroof anyway with the box on top).

Quick Reply: Noise from Cross Bars