Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Noise when turning to park

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Default Noise when turning to park

I have a 2010 Outlander sun and sound with 40,000km and when I turn into my parking spot in my condo garage and at work there is a clicking, popping sound coming from the front,and sometimes from the rear. I've never had a car that made this type of noise and suspected it sounds like there is something wrong with the suspension.

I brought it to the dealer and the mechanic said there is nothing loose. I tried to recreate the problem in their parking lot but wasn't able to make the sounds as intense as they happen when I park. It did make some noise and the mechanic said it is the suspension adjusting and assured me nothing was loose.

I did some searches on this forum and some people claimed to have the same noise so it is a common problem. However no one provided a concrete solution on where the problem stems from.

Does anyone know what I can do to have the dealer resolve the issue while I still have warranty?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 AM

does this happen when your steering wheel is turned all the way? Does it click and pop when turning both directions? If so, could be CV shafts going out...but that'd only really be from the front end.

My Ranger clunks & pops when I'm slowly turning sometimes...but I mark that up to a beater truck! I had an old '77 Blazer as my first vehicle. The front suspension would pop somtimes when turning all the way. Dad said it was the coil springs being twisted and slipping a bit in their seat.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 AM

The steering wheel doesn't have to be turned all the way.

Also I have to be moving and turning; the motion of parking. If I only turn the steering wheel there is no noise.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM

does it pop when turning both directions?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 AM

Yes the sound happens if I turn into a parking spot both left and right.

And the sound isn't a single pop, it's a series of clicks and pops as I turn into the parking spot and stop.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:51 AM

I'd get a 2nd opinion on the CV shafts. When the knuckles get worn, they start to slip making that sickening popping/grinding noise. When the get worn all the way, they will break in two (though the rubber boot usually holds it together) and you get a tow truck to take you to a mechanic's shop. usually, the wearing occurs when the rubber book tears/splits allowing the grease out and dirt to come in.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM

I found some posts from 2006 that describe my exact problem and the fix is new bearing and knuckles for the steering. I also found this link that says the problem is front wheel bearings;

Beware of these five notorious lemons - Wheels.ca Wheels.ca

Since it's a known problem and the dealer is telling me there isn't a problem how do I convince them to replace the parts under warranty?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:02 PM

wheel bearings can be tested by jacking the vehicle up by the lower control arm. if there is play in the wheel in the 12-6 and 9-3 directions, then you can suspect wheel bearings. Eventually bad wheel bearings will begin to make a growling noise.

you might take it to a national chain repair shop and see if they can find anything out, many times they will not charge if they don't do anything...or it may be something like 40 bucks or so. if they find something, then you give the stealership another chance to make it right. if they don't, then you call Mitsubishi North America headquarters and complain.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 AM

I was in traffic yesterday and I was rolling forward slowly and the front end started clicking for a couple feet then stopped. So the noise is also happening when the wheels are straight.

I will have to find a way to make the problem reproducible before bringing it to a mechanic.