Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Odd engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:52 AM
Default Odd engine noise

My 2007 Outlander XLS has an odd engine noise (best described as a squeal-like sound) which can be heard if the car is coming to a stop or moving slowly under 1000rpm while pressing the gas. The noise doesn't happen when the engine is cold. I took my Outlander to the local Mitsubishi dealer and the technician there said all the new Outlanders have the same noise. He was able to recreate the sound by holding the brake, shifting the car into drive, and giving the engine some gas until the noise was produced. I looked under the hood while he was recreating the noise and I couldn't isolate where it was coming from. When I asked what was the cause of the noise, he said something about the motor mounts and not to worry about the problem being the car has a 100k warranty. HMMM, it's not reassuring owning a car with less than 3500 miles with an engine noise that doesn't sound "normal" to the ears.

Any of you reading this post noticing the same odd engine noise?

-- John

Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Default RE: Odd engine noise

When you said squeal, I would tend to think it was a belt

hmmm..I've not heard this noise..or at least not enough for me to notice. I'll see if I can recreate it. How loud is it?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:33 AM

It's more of a mechanical "squeal" rather than something a rubber belt would make. The noise isn't very loud from inside the passenger compartment but if you're standing outside, located next to a wall, or inside of the garage, you'll hearing it rather prominently. It won't be heard when the engine is cold . . . only when it's warm from driving.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 PM

The only odd sound mine makes is while accelerating and going through gears, I believe it only does it past 3rd gear and when its above 50 degrees out side. It only does it for a brief moment while going through gears( for example:it goes into 4th, the RPM's drop, right after the RPM drops you hear it, it goes away after the RPMs catch up, you hit 5th, RPM's drop and you hear it untill the RPM's are stable again.). It sounds like slight rattle or clicking sound..verry faint and hard to notice unless you are looking for it. I have reved the engine while on neutral but can't seem to reproduce the sound, it will only do it once I hit 4th or 5th gear. I think this is normal and I've heard other cars make the noise, but it bothers me that I can't remember if it did it when I first bouht it or is it something new.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:13 PM

To recreate the noise I'm referring to: 1. Hold down the brake pedal (use left foot) and shift into drive. 2. Press on the gas pedal and bring the engine to 500 rpm. Keep the engine at 500 rpm and the "squeal" will be too obvious. Remember, the engine MUST be warm from being driven *and* the transmission must shifted into drive as neutral doesn't put enough of a strain on the engine.

I know all vehicle make some kind of noise but this noise is prominent and I don't think it's "normal" as the tech claims.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:39 AM

Are you sure about the 500 RPM? That seems pretty low. I idle at about 700

Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 AM

I tried a few times to recreate this, but couldn't

Fully warmed up, windows open, in drive, brakes on, and gave gas up to about 1500 RPMs (I verified that I idle at about 700)

I don't think it's normal and would seek a second opinion..sounds like a case of the dealer trying to brush you off

Old 12-01-2007, 02:17 AM

Thanks for your assistance bnilguy. You did everything that should have produced the noise. I'm planning to visit a different Mitsubishi dealer. If they also claim it's "normal" for all Outlanders, I'll ask them to pull one off the lot and show me that it makes the noise. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 PM

I have noticed this noise as well...It is at very low rpms, and i believe the a/c must be on.....Only does it sometimes..

Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 PM

I placed a post similar to your problem: https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_148177..._1/key_/tm.htm

I tried to resolve this with the dealer without success. I still having the noise and it's annoying, but a the moment my outie still working normally.

On the page 2 of my post I uploaded audio recordings of the noise so, check if it is the same problem.

Quick Reply: Odd engine noise