Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

odd observation

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Default odd observation

So Mitsu claims the headliner in the new outlander acts as a filter to clean the air inside the car...

So, when does it need to be changed..?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Default RE: odd observation

Yeah I was sorta wondering the same thing - I mean how the hell do you even prove the thing works?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:31 PM

well, my wife and i smoke, and according to mitsu, it filters the smoke into water and carbon dioxide. I dont know if it works, but no-one has noticed that the car smells like smoke yet... so, it must be workin to some extent

Old 03-19-2007, 11:19 PM

You change it every 50,000 miles or until it starts to leak water on your head.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:21 AM
JMC

It seems to keep it smellin' pretty good when I first step in. A good test would be to have some stanky *** fast food in the Outie with you for awhile.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:51 AM

I think it actually works. My kids and I have all eaten in the car, and one night I left a bag of trash from Mickey D's in the Outie overnight. Usually that stinks the car up. The next morning I tossed it, got in the car, and there was little to no lingering odor.

And technically it's not a filter. It's treated with a catalyst, so it never needs changing. It should, in theory, work for the life of the car.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:25 PM
JMC

Mickey D's is probably the best test...that stuff smells!!!

Old 03-20-2007, 03:35 PM

Yep, passed the Mickey D's test yesterday afternoon. Went out to move the outie 6 hours later and no smell, nada, nothing. Nothing like our Odyssey which seems to permanently retain hamburger and french fryscented ambience.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:11 PM
JMC

Wow...that's pretty good then. I wish I had the ***** to eat McDonalds again to preform this test......

Old 03-20-2007, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: rdenis

Yep, passed the Mickey D's test yesterday afternoon. Went out to move the outie 6 hours later and no smell, nada, nothing. Nothing like our Odyssey which seems to permanently retain hamburger and french fryscented ambience.
lol. I know exactly what you mean. My wife's Odyssey has a near-permanent fast food smell too. Granted the kids are in her car a whole lot more, but still, I've tried to funk up my Outie and just can't do it.

The next test is the dreaded two hours after eating Chinese food test.

Quick Reply: odd observation