Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

OEM Navi vs Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Default OEM Navi vs Aftermarket

I want to install a navi unit in my 2011 Outlander XLS... Now the question should I really go after original navi unit or go with descent aftermarket? What are benefits of the original one? Thank you

Old 06-10-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by greentech
I want to install a navi unit in my 2011 Outlander XLS... Now the question should I really go after original navi unit or go with descent aftermarket? What are benefits of the original one? Thank you
Only benefit of the original one over an aftermarket navigation unit is that you will not lose steering wheel controls (although there are modules for certain aftermarket navigations that will allow to program Outlanders steering wheel controls). Also, oem navigation lets you control few things in the Outlander like shutting down the DRL lights and a bunch of other useless statistics. I see that OEM navigation on ebay costs over $2000!?! which is plain simply not worth it in my book. Even aftermarket navigations from Kenwood are fairly expensive at $800. There are those cheap Chinese knockoffs but the quality of screen and software is lacking.

I just purchased a Nexus 7 ($200) tablet (has a very nice 7 inch screen) with Arkon windshield mount (
Amazon.com: Arkon SM517 Windshield Mount for iPad Mini and 7-Inch Tablets: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Arkon SM517 Windshield Mount for iPad Mini and 7-Inch Tablets: Computers & Accessories
) and purchased Sygic navigation on sale $30 for North America (offline navigation app which so far I am very happy with) and if you just want a good navigation unit I think that's the best you can currently find. Nexus 7 has navigation chip built inside so you don't need cellular data during road use, it basically acts as a regular navigation system unit like TomTom or Garmin. Also, with Sygic, all map updates are free after you purchase the app, and they do update quite frequently. Mitsubishi OEM map updates are rather expensive (sometimes for the price of one update you can buy a Garmin/TomTom navigation unit) and usually not up to date anyway (just like most oem navigation units). Sure the Nexus 7 will not be as nicely integrated into the dash as an oem navigation but its a lot cheaper with a better screen and its up to date, for the most part, with maps.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 06-10-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM

I decided not to look for an Outlander with the Nav unit as I wanted sat nav but not the factory version. I had it in my previous Audi and it came in handy but was severely lacking when it came to features and updates compared to aftermarket stand alone units from TomTom and Garmin.

I do, however, miss some of the other functions such as a large touch screen control for radio and cd/dvd as well as iPod integration.

I have decided to just get a double din fascia panel and a nice aftermarket double din screen unit from the likes of Pioneer or Kenwood but without sat nav. These can be bought for around £250. I have bought a £150 Garmin for sat nav duties and, whilst not as clean looking as having a unit that is part of the dash, it's fine for the few times I need to use it to just attach it to the windscreen.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:02 AM

i went with a TomTom,5" screen and have it mounted on the dash,between the steering wheel and the windshield pillar. it's low, visable when i need it and it cost less than the Mitsu updates.