Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

off road issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008 | 10:22 AM
Default RE: off road issues

ORIGINAL: puddy

The reason 4x4 switched off was because you overheated the system you may have been better using 4X4 auto
What was this in response to? Didnt see anyone saying there 4x4 lock auto switched off we where talking about the ASC system, im very confussed

Old 09-27-2008 | 10:45 AM
|

I started the confusion for in my opening remark for this thread I said "....in my confusion I thought the 4WD also switched off.....". After the discussions I know I was wrong, the 4WD cannot automatically disengage, at least this is my layman's understanding, for I am not an engineer.

Old 09-28-2008 | 07:51 AM

Puddy, is correct, if you go through the service manual you will notice that they do in fact talk about conditionwhere the 4WD will disengage in order to protect the system. I can't find my Cd at this moment, but if I recall correctly it would happen when you drive in adverse conditions for a prolonged period of time, When I first read it, I remember thinking that "Isn't that when you would need 4WD the most?".

Old 09-28-2008 | 08:13 AM
|

Ohhh... I see, then I was correct in my confusion that both ASC & 4WD disangaged the later when I needed it the most.....THX

Old 09-28-2008 | 08:34 AM
|

From my search I found thereare very limited choises for tires 225/55 R18, almost all are mainly for tarmac use, now 2of these by Bridgestone the WINTER DUELER DMZ3 & the BLIZZAK LM25 seem to have threads usefull for off roading situations like soft sand & mad, however they aredefinetly winter tires. Does any one knows if they can safely be used also during summer with tempratures in the region of 40 oC ( 105 oF)?? or they will come apart??

[IMG]local://upfiles/18245/08062E71C4E147D7AC509EE41774E0DC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18245/6F775BAE72F64343A1C6F9024CCF0EC7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-28-2008 | 11:23 AM

i would suggest something with a bigger diameter for off-roading.

low profiles are no good for that. you'll end up damaging your rims.
may want to look at Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmour, BFG T/A KO, Bridgestone Revo and so on.

but the only problem is that when you get up to size 18, the width are all above 255 onwards and would most likely rub!

Old 09-28-2008 | 01:01 PM

Regarding the 4x4 disengaging I have had my outlander in mud for time periods well over an hour and have never had the lock disengage. I would be interested to see what would cause it to disengage.

Old 09-28-2008 | 02:10 PM
|

I know this problem with low profiles but what can I do? My car came with the 18" rims and 225/55 tyres and I am trying to find a solution within these parameters, thx.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18245/3D43E6440F59447A871ACEA17ABC2BB6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2008 | 08:34 AM

I believe that Winter tires can be safely used in the summer, I see many people in Canada that do it. and these tires would probably do fairly well off-road, but in an area where the temperatures are usually very high, something like a Blizzak would probably last one summer, unless you drive 100% off-road .
winter tire essentially come in 2 different flavors,standard winter tires and Ice Tires. Astandard winter tire has an aggressive thread and softer than normal rubber, in order to maintain a certain amount of grip on cold pavement. An Ice Tire can have a very aggressive thread but will often have a slightly more aggressive thread than an all season tire, Where the Ice tire gets it's grip is at a micro level, they will either have a very soft thread with many small grooves, some microscopic pieces of a hard compound mixed into the rubber to grip the ice, or a sponge like grip that essentially acts micro suction cups on the ice.
In your case a standard winter tire would probably work best, the problem is they are not very popular anymore and I doubt you will find some in the size you are looking at, since even in a winter country the deep snow on the road get cleared very quickly and an Ice tire is more practical and safer.

Old 09-29-2008 | 11:22 AM

dger I have the same type of tyres.Think about buying 16' steel rims and the variety of proper off road tyres will be much bigger.If you keep the overall diameter even with the 18' 55 then you will not have problem with the setup of the car or the speedometer...
I think somewhere I saw a site that makes the conversion for profile and rims...

Dimitris

Quick Reply: off road issues