Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil Can Warning on Screen at start up - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Default Oil Can Warning on Screen at start up - Please help

Hello everyone, I bought an outlander yesterday and have since noticed that the oil can warning icon comes up on the display everytime I turn on the ignition along with an audible warning "ding ding ding.." at the welcome screen and then goes off.

(see image: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/imag0412v.jpg

I checked the oil level and it was low so I topped it up and this warning sign still comes up. I have gone through the owner's manual and notice that my warning sign does not show any additional info such as CHECK or CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL.

I would be grateful if anyone here can advise on what the problem may be or if they had encountered a similar problem. This is not a good start to my first Mitsubishi outlander ownership

Thanks in anticipation

Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Since it come on at start-up I would say the oil pressure transmitter is not working or disconnected. That would explain why it does not go away.

A bad oil filter can do that also.

The owner manual quote if you get this warning and the oil level OK (as you fixed it) Go to the dealer or a repair facility of your choice.

If new or still under warranty, go to the dealer.
If second hand (Warranty over), go to a garage of your choice.

Oil Pressure at idle ---> 4.2 psi or more Warm oil
Oil Pressure at 3500 RPM---> 43 to 100 psi Warm oil

Attached Thumbnails Oil Can Warning on Screen at start up - Please help-oil.jpg  

Last edited by Claude_A; 06-25-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 PM

Thanks for your reply.
Just to add, the dipstick was showing oil less than the min and I added 1L of oil and the dipstick is showing oil above the max now. Is there too much oil in the car now and if yes, is it safe to drive? In my prrevious BMW the min and max represented 1L hence why I added 1L of oil. BAck to the original question, is the oil pressure transmitter the oil pressure sensor, in which case could this be faulty? Does anyone know the average hourly rate of mitsubishi dealers in Manchester? Don;t like teh idea of taking it to a dealer so might try an indy unless someone can fidn teh solution to this. Thanks

Old 06-25-2011, 07:05 PM

Go back to my questions:!!!
Is this a new car or an old one:

If new go to dealer it will be free
If beyond warranty chose your mechanic.

From your info there is enough oil and the sensor is the problem.
when was the last oil filter change????

Old 06-25-2011, 08:07 PM

I have a 2008 Outlander and the oil can light shows up for a second or two when I start the vehicle just like in your photo. This is normal. You only have a problem if it stays on, or if it comes on when you're driving. And yes, it's good to get in the habit of checking your oil every week or so.

Last edited by azjake; 06-25-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 PM
tcp
Default normal

i'm pretty sure it shows up if the ignition is on and the engine isn't running. Just shows that there is no oil pressure, if it were to stay on with the engine running, then you have a problem. Being a few ounces low or high on oil isn't going to trigger anything.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:28 AM

If he can hear the audible warning (As he mentioned in the first post) I suspect that for a second or two the oil pressure is lower than 4.2 psi with the engine running.

If the oil filter check valve is not holding then it's the time it take to fill the canister before the sensor see a good pressure.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 PM

Hi all and thanks for your replies - much appreciated.
I bought my car (2008) privately so its pretty much sold as seen.
It's done a lot miles 100k+ so possibly this may have added to the cause.
From your replies, I understand that the the oil can icon at start up is normal but the audible warning is not. There has been time when the audible warning doesn;t sound (mainly after I have started the car after a moderate drive)
Claude_A: I don't know if the oil filter has been changed recently but it has done a lot of miles but had regular services. Is the oil filter easy to change DIY? Might be worth changing it first as the filter is relatively cheap.
Sorry, I didn't understand "If the oil filter check valve is not holding then it's the time it take to fill the canister before the sensor see a good pressure"

Before I sign off, I have encountered another problem which had resorted my car going into "limp mode" i.e loss of power and not getting over 60-70mph. I have started another thread on this and wondered if the 2 issues are related. I wanted to get a few opinions before I get this checked out next week.

Thanks for your assistance

Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 PM

The only thing that i can think of after reading both of your threads, is the oil pressure sending unit might be faulty, Im not much of an expert on how the outlander reacts to faulty sensors, I just purchased a brand new 2011 outlander four months ago, however with my experience on my other mitsubishi vehicles, a faulty oil pressure sensor could be causing it to go into limp mode. Given the fact your outlander has over 100K It wouldnt be a bad idea to replace the sensor and they arent that expensive...

Old 06-26-2011, 07:19 PM

About the oil filter... There is a check valve in the filter that keep it filled with oil. if the valve is not working or the filter is the wrong type and has no check valve it will empty on shut down.

This mean it will have to refill on start-up and thus create a delay until the oil system is pressurized and shut the warning off.

An Oil and filter change could fix this problem.

Quick Reply: Oil Can Warning on Screen at start up - Please help