Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil change on a Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 PM

I do oil changes every 10,000 miles with fully synthetic.
Tire rotations only to keep the best tires on the back. Otherwise, leave them alone.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:44 PM

So is there a specific size crush washer or gasket I should look for before I drain the oil out? Plan on doing this tomorrow and the dealer parts dept will be closed. I have an Autozone, Pepboys, Advance, Pepboys, and O'Reillys in the area. What did you guys use?

Old 09-18-2011, 05:57 AM

I used 14mm washer (2007 Outlander). However, year or so changed plug to a Qwik Valve and I like that. The most awkward thing about changing the oil is the filter is tricky to get off due to its location. I bought an end cap wrench from Autozone for about $5 and that has made it much less frustrating for me at least.

Last edited by benshepherd; 09-18-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:16 AM

hi guys,

Another 2011 RVR owner from Mississauga with questions about oil change...

I did first oil change at dealership at a bit higher then 4000 km. They put in synthetic oil. Now I have slightly over 13000 km on my RVR and service beep every time I start an engine. Called dealer, they told me I can still drive OK till October.

I am really confused with all this synthetic oil business, always changed conventional one every 3 months or so. Should I change oil now or wait till October?

Thank you

Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by rvr2011
hi guys,

Another 2011 RVR owner from Mississauga with questions about oil change...

I did first oil change at dealership at a bit higher then 4000 km. They put in synthetic oil. Now I have slightly over 13000 km on my RVR and service beep every time I start an engine. Called dealer, they told me I can still drive OK till October.

I am really confused with all this synthetic oil business, always changed conventional one every 3 months or so. Should I change oil now or wait till October?

Thank you
Don't listen to the dealer, go in and get an oil change anyways. I wouldn't go more than 10,000 on the synthetic oil.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:51 AM

thank you, I've just scheduled oil change today...

Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 AM

I think it is sensible you have scheduled for oil change as you don't want any disputes should you ever have to make a warranty claim. In reality, I think 13000km (8k miles) is fine - you could probably do a few thousand miles more on a fully synthetic. I know not everyone will agree with that though!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 AM

Since my dealer is completely contradicting the suggested oil change interval in the owners manual I've decided that even though sythetic is good for much longer than 6,000km/3months that I'll just stick with that since it's the only interval Mitsubishi recommends for vehicles operated in Canada. I figure it's not worth it to save $100 on one less oil change a year by going with the dealers recommended 8,000km/5month interval and then have to deal with any potential issues should a warranty claim arise later. I figure that even though I know I could go longer, why give them any potential reason to even try and deny a claim? The worst I'm doing is keeping practically brand new oil in the engine year round, given that it get's below -40 here in Winnipeg I figure that's not the worst thing possible. The extra peace of mind is worth the extra $100/annually for me.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:22 PM

Completely agree with you about doing the extra changes in line with the manual to maintain warranty. At $200 per year (are they really charging you that much??!) you should probably change it yourself.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 PM

$89 plus tax for the synthetic at the dealer which is pretty much in line with every other oil change place around here. Basically $25 for the labour and filter, $55 for 5 litres of 0W20. Unless I can find the 0W20 on sale which it hasnt been since Ive started looking then theres not much money to be saved doing it myself anyways. Looking at what $20 tops in saved labour cost? Not worth it to me on a new vehicle. Ive changed my own oil on my old beater truck but cant be bothered on a brand new vehicle. Id rather have the oil change record on their file should any issues arrive. Ive had issues in the past with non automotive warranty claims and I know that insurers will always look for ANY out possible. Why give them any opportunity just to save a few hundred dollars over the lifetime of the vehicle?

Last edited by grumpyrom; 09-21-2011 at 03:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil change on a Outlander Sport