Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil Changing

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011 | 03:38 PM
|
Default Oil Changing

My vehicle just hit 1200 miles. I am going to buy oil in a little while tonight and change it. I actually wanted to do the first change at about 750 miles but have been working too much to do it.

I am going to change oil every 1000 miles, up until 6000 miles or so. A new engine will possibly shed some more worn metal than a broke in engine, but that's my theory.

What do you guys think is a good choice of oil and filter? I want to go straight to synthetic. There is so many oil types, I wonder which ones are possibly more useful than others.

Old 01-05-2011 | 05:28 PM
Old 01-05-2011 | 07:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Good show. Some even feel that there may be filings and/or shavings from the factory still in the pan, and the first thing to be changed is the oil.
If you're going to change the oil that frequently, then conventional oil and Mitsubishi filter would be one of the more economical choices, unless your style of driving or vehicle's operational life falls into the 'severe service' (taxi, fleet, extended idling, constant stop-and-go, extreme dust, extreme heat, etc) category.
Synthetic, after you're comfortable, is said to be the way to go. AMSOIL is said to be the, if not the best, Royal Purple, Eneos are all excellent manufacturers. Colt-Speed Canada's 2009 Outlander V6 uses AMSOIL 100% synthetic and an AMSOIL filter. It is changed well before the recommended intervals as well. These changes are more expensive, yet no doubt less expensive than an overhaul (as the drivers of said vehicle are not light on the accelerator).
It has been reported to run quieter, smoother, start better in the cold north, achieve better mileage, and some have reported an increase in power. This vehicle was purchased by the company used, with 17000km (10500miles) and now has 53000km (33000 miles), and will be dyno'd shortly (spring 2011).
All the best; with that kind of TLC, your Mits'll last for a very long time.
Cheers!

Colt-Speed Canada team

Old 01-05-2011 | 10:15 PM

if there were shed metal, the filter should take care of that. If you really wanted to be sure, do two changes of 2500 miles on dino oil....then synthetic after that every 5k miles. Run with the parts stores sales for synthetic. I've got an oil analysis on Castrol Edge posted somewhere around here. I'm coming up on my first 7.5k mile interval on Pennzoil Platinum...I'll do another analysis to see how it works out.

Old 01-06-2011 | 12:41 AM

I have used Pennzoil Platinum and Castrol Synthetic in my Outlander. And Mobil1 too.

I really WOULD LIKE to use German Castrol (says Made in Germany on the back of the bottle), but it only comes in 0W30, and I am not sure whether I should deviate from the factory recommended 5W20.

(I do use German Castrol 0W30 in my GTO which is a deviation from the factory recommended 5W30, but that's a different story because there are a lot of people using the German Castrol on GTO/Corvette/Camaro engines with good results)

Old 01-06-2011 | 11:36 AM
tcp
Default German Castrol

I wouldn't hesitate to use GC in the outlander. I use it on my 2005 Sienna dragging my 4000lb travel trailer around the rockies.

Different weight oils are spec'd depending on where the outlander is sold. I think in Australia they use a higher weight with the same engines. The only heads up is that GC is still an SL rated oil, not SM or higher. Supposedly more ash or something like that, that could, potentially, possibly, reduce the life of the emission's systems. Not sure what the outlander requires, SL or SM+.

Originally Posted by ruski
I have used Pennzoil Platinum and Castrol Synthetic in my Outlander. And Mobil1 too.

I really WOULD LIKE to use German Castrol (says Made in Germany on the back of the bottle), but it only comes in 0W30, and I am not sure whether I should deviate from the factory recommended 5W20.

(I do use German Castrol 0W30 in my GTO which is a deviation from the factory recommended 5W30, but that's a different story because there are a lot of people using the German Castrol on GTO/Corvette/Camaro engines with good results)

Old 01-06-2011 | 02:52 PM

The secret of German Castrol is higher content of Zinc and Phosphorus (aka ZDDP)

These two components prevent engine wear, which is a good thing. But can damage your catalytic converters (IF your engine burns oil, because how would oil components get into your exhaust anyway?)

ALL oils used to have higher levels of zink and phosphorus, but then the EPA stepped in and forced oil companies to significantly reduce these levels.

German Castrol and Valvoline VR1 racing oil still maintain higher ZDDP levels. I think Royal Purple too.

This tells the ZDDP story better than I do:
http://automotivemileposts.com/zddp.html

Old 01-16-2011 | 08:30 PM

Hi Matt_M

Whilst it is admirable that you want to look after your new Outlander, I do think those oil changes are a bit excessive. Sure, do a change at 1000 miles, but thereafter, if you are using fully synthetic, every 7.5k will be fine. Oil changes every 3k are unnecessary with modern synthetics.

Old 01-16-2011 | 11:19 PM
|

Originally Posted by NhocCuteGirl
Just GET OUT of here with your stupid spam.

Will somebody please ban this fool?

Every post is just a copy of someone else.

About the oil. After some reading, I decided to change first at 2500 miles. I allowed more miles for engine break-in, then went synthetic. I changed to Penzoil Platinum 5-20W. It was showing up as the best oil in reviews.

And about excessive oil changing. There is no doubt that synthetic oil lasts a long time. The question is, does the oil filter last as long as the oil? Will the oil filter continue to trap those particles for the life of the oil? You cannot hurt the engine by changing it too much, but changing it too little will show effects when the engine hits big numbers. I'd rather be on the safe side since financially, oil changing won't hurt me.

Last edited by Matt_M; 01-16-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2011 | 12:17 AM

as said earlier - stick with what people are saying on here

there is such a thing as changing your oil TOO often - and you have to weigh up the following

just how much more money are you spending on extra oil changes....and how much more life is it in reality going to give you?

you gotta weigh up the pro's and cons.....most engines will give you over 200,000km just by doing the manufacturers recommended servicing - if you change your oil twice as often - it isnt going to magically give you 400,000km before being due for rebuild

Quick Reply: Oil Changing