Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

oil leak between engine and transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Default oil leak between engine and transmission

well almost 2500 miles and found this..
I am fairly sure it is engine oil because transmission fluid is red, so would this be rear seal or upper oil pan seal? The oil seep out from the gap towards the front car, then towards the bottom.

Its not from the oil changes because it hasn't have one yet.
Calling the dealer tomorrow

Well, it looks like the oil seal goes into a oil seal case (6) and sealants are involved.
But I hope it is oil pan because of the oil present on the front seam of the bell housing area. It is alot easier to fix than the oil seal

found 1 other post with a similar issue

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...38/#post125423

Attached Thumbnails oil leak between engine and transmission-img_1209.jpg   oil leak between engine and transmission-img_1210.jpg   oil leak between engine and transmission-engine.jpg  

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 09-21-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 AM

Do you have a CVT transmission? CVT fluid is green. That doesn't look like engine oil.

edit: well maybe it is the lighting...there is some brown in there. Dab it with some white tissue paper. Either way, 2500 miles is way too early for something like that to start.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 AM

I had the same issue on my 08 xls and my 08 LS before. Under warrenty and they replaced the tranny seals, the LS was seals and tourqe converter ( not sure why that but oh well) . no more leak after on either.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 AM

It's v6 6 spd auto.

It's the lighting (LED flash light), when wiped on finger and towel, it is definitely engine oil

Do you guys have any idea what it could be? There is an inspection plate held by 2 bolts as shown in the picture, I don't know it's purpose but I don't see any oil coming directly out of there.

I'm worried even it's under warranty the amount of work needed to repair this.. (remove AT etc)

But at least i get my oil changed, lol.
Of course this is a defect and I'm not happy.

I made an appointment, hopefully they will finish the work by the end of the week and not mess anything up.

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 09-21-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM

Happened to me with a previous car (New less than 1000Km) it was crankshaft seal that was installed crooked.

They changed the pan seal before they accepted my opinion.

the test is simple.

Clean the area
Drive the car for 30 minutes
Inspect there should be no oil right away
Wait a few hours
Inspect and the oil now drip.

The reason is the oil is slung from the crank shaft through the seal all over the bell housing and it takes some time for it to puddle at the lowest point and seep through the flange.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM

Claude_A - thanks for your reply so it's probably not the oil pan then. Makes more sense because the rotation of the crankshaft is towards the front of the car.

I don't want to wipe the oil off at this point because there could be nothing to show the dealer. It might have took a while (2+ months and 2000 miles of driving for the oil to make it down). I have lost no notable amount of oil. But I do not want to go back twice.

Either way does the oil pan comes off before getting to the rear seal? at least the rear seal uses a case to hold it so no one has to pick it out and risk scratching the crankshaft.

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 09-21-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT
Either way does the oil pan comes off before getting to the rear seal? at least the rear seal uses a case to hold it so no one has to pick it out and risk scratching the crankshaft.
I don't know, but I suspect they will argue for the simplest first, they will go for the pan gasket as it is the cheapest.
Then you will go back later with more oil leak and you will have to make your case, as pulling the tranny to get at the crank seal is involved and obviously expensive.

This was my experience with my Chrysler Intrepid back in '94, they even tried to go for the pan gasket a second time until I detailed my troubleshooting procedure (Timed pictures helped).

They don't need to remove the pan if they pull the transmission but who know...

Last edited by Claude_A; 09-21-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM

That depends how well compensated mitsu dealers are by MMNA for warranty work?
Some manufacturers allocated very little time to do a procedure, like you're only given 10 hours to remove and reinstall the engine or something. Also there is lemon law in CA so they probably don't want to mess up too many times for the same issue.

I'm going in on monday..
well in the meantime..
maybe that inspection plate is supposed to have oil out if it is an oil pan leak, otherwise main seal leak or something.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT

You are right, look at the diagram #6 that you posted. The rear main seal should sit in that removable housing. That housing is most likely bolted to the upper oil pan and thus, the whole pan will have to be removed along with the transmission (worse case). However, the crankshaft shouldn't have to be removed, so you don't have to worry about that. They would probably just swap out the entire engine before fiddling around with removing a crankshaft.

Still sucks that you have to go through it in the first place, but at least you noticed it sooner rather then later.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 AM

Afaik it's crank seal or TC seal, usually TC Seal goes before a crank seal does tho

Quick Reply: oil leak between engine and transmission