Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Opinions on Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Default Opinions on Outlander Sport

I am looking at purchasing a new car, and the Outlander Sport is very high on my list. One thing I find lacking is the power that it puts down. It seems like when the gas is stomped (pulling into traffic for example) it just doesn't have the get-up-and-go of some other small crossovers.

Also, I am looking for a specific build (Laguna Blue, with the Panoramic Sunroof, no NAV) and my dealer can't find any so it would have to be ordered and take 3 months to get it from the factory. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it for me to do so. So if I could get opinions from current owners and anyone on the forums about the power issue and what you like/dislike about the car I would be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 PM

I was puzzled when they announced this "Sport" model and gave it a very wimpy engine. Not worth it IMO.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:33 PM

It puzzles me even more with the RVR name in Canada.

IMO it's not wroth it, but if you're looking for gas saving, sound and looks then yes, but if you do a lot of up hills, and heavy loads, then an Outlander is a better choice.

btw, use the Sportronic if you needed the get up and go..

Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM

did you try both v-6 and the i-4 or just the i-4?

If you didnt try the V-6 i'd give it a shot. Its not an absolute beast but it def has some good power.

From everyone's descriptions is seems like they have experience with the i-4.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:24 PM

Well, the difference between a base Outlander and Outlander Sport is about $3500 so it is rather significant. I have a 2009 Outlander ES AWD (with 2.4l engine) and I really do not have any complaints about its performance. I know that the V6 guys will say that the V6 is a better performer, well, that is to be expected but it is also more expensive to get and more expensive to maintain (such in V6 you gotta change the timing belt where the I4 uses a timing chain). City mileage is also better in the 4 cylinder. I don't think Outlander was designed to be a speed rocket, just a versatile family/long trip hauler. And the 4 cylinder option is more than adequate (I have taken few trips to Canada through upstate NY with 5 people in it and a trunk full of gear and had absolutely no complaints, plus I averaged 27MPG).

Anyway, going back to Mitsubishi Outlander Sport/RVR, to me it definitely looks better than the 2010/2011 Outlander and the interior materials are a lot better in Outlander Sport/RVR than in Outlander/Lancer. The only real big difference between Outlander Sport and Outlander is the larger trunk space of Outlander. Rest I would actually give advantage to Outlander Sport. The Outlander Sport might be using just a 2.0l 148hp engine but it is also about 250-300lbs than comparable Outlander so the power to weight ratio is similar with each other. According to various tests the 0-60 time of Outlander Sport is not any worse than the new Kia Sportage/Hyundai Tucson (its in the 9.5 sec range). Outlander Sport definitely drives better, handles better, than the newest Korean offerings. Pretty much in this category there is not a lot of performance to chose from maybe except Nissan Juke but then again, Juke doesn't offer as much usable space as Outlander Sport. Outlander Sport, even in base form, also has a couple of neat things such as regenerative braking and hill start assist.

Anyway, the only thing Mitsubishi got wrong with Outlander "Sport" is the name. If you just forget about the name, for the money, it is a well balanced car geared towards younger tech crowd. If anything, I would probably wait a year and see if Mitsubishi will upgrade the engine with direct injection and/or larger displacement but its not like this will make the car a sub 5 second 0-60 machine. Mitsubishi does offer Outlander Sport with a very nice 1.8l Mitsu diesel engine in Europe/Australia (lots of torque) and gets a lot of positive reviews there, but I dont think diesel will come to USA anytime soon.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 01-21-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:59 AM

In Australia they call it an ASX. At least they dont try to fool people by calling it an Outlander or maybe overseas dealers think paople wont notice the differance. Rear legroom is only good for short people.

09 LS 2.4 cvt duel feul 4wd

Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Wow thank you all so much for the responses! I've got the whole afternoon today to test drive one, so I'll check out using the cvt more.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ruski
I was puzzled when they announced this "Sport" model and gave it a very wimpy engine. Not worth it IMO.
wimpy did u test drive it? i did, and for a 4 banger its got some sting. its not an EVO turbo but for a fuel sipping 4 banger its not bad.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:32 PM

I just took it out again this afternoon for a few hours (very nice of the dealership to let me put 50 miles on one) and although it is pretty lacking in automatic mode, once I threw the **** over to "manual" control and shifted myself it had some nice power to it. I was pleasantly surprised. Now I need to decide if waiting 3 months for one to be delivered from Japan is worth it...

Unless someone can find me one with my specs in the states

Old 01-23-2011, 01:12 AM

I was also looking into purchasing the Sport (SE laguna blue with pan roof, nav, and sound). The interior is very well equipped. But a couple of things I found lacking in the car are - no power seat options and a measly 4-cyl 2.0L enginer (148 Hp). Had they put the 2.4 cyl (180 hp) engine in there like they do with the Outlander, I would be getting one with no hesitation. But as it stands, I will wait to see what the public verdict is on the 2.0 cyl.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Outlander Sport