Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2008 4WD lock Stock in snow ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Default Outlander 2008 4WD lock Stock in snow ???

Hi,
yesturday i was like stock in the snow, i was in 4WD lock.
the problem, only my Front left side and my back Right side where spinning.
are my system is defect ???

Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Default RE: Outlander 2008 4WD lock Stock in snow ???

First of all, Im guessing you were stuck, not stock. But no your system is not defective. All 4 wheels in 4WD Lock mode dont necessary all spin, especially if ASC is on. We do not have a locking differential so with ASC on, it will electronically control wheel spin.

You need to turn ASC off, which will allow the system to spin the wheels, which would allow you to rock yourself out. If you're that stuck, rocking out is probably the only way out without a locking differential (which we dont have). Otherwise you're going to have to be pulled out.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:20 PM

sorry im french
i stop ASC too, i did say it.
even that, i tought that even 4WD auto will make at less all weel spin ?
Even if im jack because of the snow?

Old 12-23-2007, 05:03 AM

ORIGINAL: tdford

If you're that stuck, rocking out is probably the only way out without a locking differential (which we dont have). Otherwise you're going to have to be pulled out.
people who tend to get themselves stuck in snow should carry a small shovel to remove the excess snow from around the wheels. rocking the car with automatic transmission is a bit worse idea than shoveling.

another idea would be getting winter tires, wouldn't get stuck at all (under normal circumstances).

Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 PM

Sry, but I have a question about the ASC. You can turn it on or off?? What is the used of it? How do I know ifs it is on or off???

Thanks

Old 12-23-2007, 02:05 PM

That think is there to make shure you cant Make your Weel Spin.
but you can desactivate that buy pressing the ASC button for like 5 Second, and you will see ASC off on the display.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:18 PM

So if it is on, there is no display, correct?
If is off, it will read, ASC Off??

Thanks
Shorty Riderr

Old 12-23-2007, 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: mrtn

people who tend to get themselves stuck in snow should carry a small shovel to remove the excess snow from around the wheels. rocking the car with automatic transmission is a bit worse idea than shoveling.

another idea would be getting winter tires, wouldn't get stuck at all (under normal circumstances).

Rocking the car with an automatic is not a "worse" idea, if you know how to do it properly. Most manuals talk about rocking in them for those sever conditions. And if your under "normal circumstances" it doesnt matter what tire you have, you wont even get stuck with a 4WD vehicle. Winter tires help for traction, but if your stuck in a foot of snow or something, winter tires are not going to garauntee you getting out any more than stock (they will help though).

armymen, looks like we have a small language barrier, but thats ok. Yes, ASC is always "on", unless you hold the button for like 5 seconds and the "ASC Off" light will appear in the gauge cluster. My advice to you is that IF you have a shovel when you get stuck, and its bad, yes digging out is going to be the best (sucks though). Otherwise if you know how to rock a vehicle out, than turn ASC off, and put it in 4WD Lock and work it out.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:08 PM

what i did not understand thatwhy only 2 weel was spinning. its not suposs to be 4 Weel drive ????

Old 12-24-2007, 07:09 AM

4 wd drive - Yes

Limited Slip or locking front & rear differentials - No

What you experienced is typical ofany 4wd vehicle without limited slip or locking front & rear differentials.

If only the traction control worked like VW's system that is on my GTI you probably would have been OK. At low speeds, instead of cutting power from the engine when it senses a wheel spinning, it uses the ABS to stop the spinning wheel, thus forcing the non-spinning wheel to turn. It forces power to the wheel with more traction to turn. You can manually do this as well, by applying a bit of brake pressure while still giving some gas.this trys to stop all four wheels, but it is often enough to force more than one wheel to turn.

Quick Reply: Outlander 2008 4WD lock Stock in snow ???